Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Useful links / FAQ, Collected SFX guides, editing tips, and bounty how-to

post May 25 2012, 22:34
Post #1
Red of EHCOVE

Viceroy of Oook & EHCOVE cofounder
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 365 (Godslayer)

I have decided to collect various helpful links related to translating, editing and bounties. I would suggest we make this thread into a sticky FAQ thread for our Cove forum.

Helpful links for the translators:
* Random translation help Our "ask a question" thread for translators
* Guide for New & Potential Translators - self-explanatory
* Japanese slang - self-explanatory
* a guide on Japanese onomatopoeia / SFX (Tonigobe) - self-explanatory
* [thejadednetwork.com] Jaded Network SFX search - if it's not in Tonigobe, try this one
* [www.writtensound.com] www.writtensound.com - still nothing? Thrice the charm (another SFX/onomatopoeia dictionary)
* Bad translations. Examples of. - what NOT to to (and why we all hate MT)
* [www.nicovideo.jp] N04h saiz: "Video about translating anime of interest to translators"

Helpful links for the editors:
* Editors water-cooler Our "ask a question" thread for editors
* [prettyanonymo.us] ANONBLACK’S TYPESETTING GUIDE - comes highly recommended from our veteran editor, Super Shanko
* Comprehensive editing guide
* Editing Guide Redux
* Your Tips for Manga Editing!
* Ero-Otoko's Guide to Translating and Editing
* Ero-Otoko's Guide to Decensoring (has some use for learning redrawing)
* Tangyuehui Illustrated Guide : Painter + Photoshop (this one is in Japanese Chinese, perhaps somebody should translate and edit it :>)
* [www.questie.com] Editing guide
* fonts 101? - discussion of fonts
* Recommended fonts for scanslating doujins - another
* Editing Text in Color Scans, Looking for tips on how to edit out non-bubble text
* [mangahelpers.com] Advanced Redrawing methodes (sic!) (submitted by hihohahi )
* [belldandy100-decensoredshrine.blogspot.com] Belldandy100 video on decensoring (submitted by Ser Maggot)
* [www.insidescanlation.com] The Idiot's Guide to Editing Manga (submitted by Ryukoreiakuma)
* [web.archive.org] Typesetting introduction (submitted by surted)
* [www.ruinevil.com] Quality Checking Guide

Scanning:
* Help with scanning doujinshi Our "ask a question" thread for scanners
* recommendations on how to scan doujinshi
* a guide by Scantastic
* [www.questie.com] Scanning guide
* [www.wikihow.com] How to Clean a Scanned Manga Page in Photoshop

Bounty how-to:
* Bounty Etiquette
* Bounty system how-to explained by LS

Other:
* EHCOVE discussion thread
* [archive.org] Internet Archive - if any of the links above die, check the archive to see if you can access an archived copy
* discord sever for editing hentai manga discussions [discord.gg] https://discord.gg/3xVJPbh

I will be happy to add things to this list, correct the descriptions, and so on. Hopefully, this will also motivate some people to update their guides or do the ones they've been promising for ages (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also, feel free to ask general translation/editing/bounty questions here.

This post has been edited by Red_Piotrus: Oct 9 2019, 07:25
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Apr 23 2015, 23:47
Post #2
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Level 183 (Lord)

Here is an online translation aggregator

[honyaku-matome.dyndns-web.com] http://honyaku-matome.dyndns-web.com
+Quote Post

post Jul 19 2015, 02:34
Post #3
DigitalPunk05

Casual Poster
Group: Members
Level 96 (Lord)

I'm still here and still trying. I want to do this, even if my editing skills suckass. At any rate, found a program that might help someone else. I've found it somewhat useful.

[www.paperfile.net] http://www.paperfile.net/

It's an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program. It's been helpful for me in extracting text from images. My problem often occurs shortly after, I can't read Japanese.

This post has been edited by DigitalPunk05: Jul 19 2015, 02:35
+Quote Post

post Oct 6 2016, 00:32
Post #4
Pawsy_Ita

Lurker
Group: Lurkers

Hi everybody (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I've just registered in this site so I don't know much of how it works, so sorry if I'm doing something wrong >.<
As you can see, I'm not English but Italian, so after many months of "use" of your galleries I would like to help your community traslating from English to Italian (despite what you can see now I'm pretty good in traslating FROM English instead of TO English). So my question is: can I get any comic I like, traslate it in Italian and repost it or are there any copyright issues? Have I to ask to the author first? :/
Thank you everybody for your site and your answers (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

post Oct 6 2016, 01:00
Post #5
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 199 (Lord)

QUOTE(Pawsy_Ita @ Oct 5 2016, 15:32) *

Hi everybody (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I've just registered in this site so I don't know much of how it works, so sorry if I'm doing something wrong >.<
As you can see, I'm not English but Italian, so after many months of "use" of your galleries I would like to help your community traslating from English to Italian (despite what you can see now I'm pretty good in traslating FROM English instead of TO English). So my question is: can I get any comic I like, traslate it in Italian and repost it or are there any copyright issues? Have I to ask to the author first? :/
Thank you everybody for your site and your answers (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

First, hello. Second, to your main question about asking for copyright, no. I mean this is kind of the whole foundation to scanlating for kicks. For your third question, as most people do, you're free to pluck any and all English translated works for your own ends. I don't know of any official rules, but a s courtesy when filling out the description, link back to the original English translated gallery though, if for nothing else than to given them some credit for the base of your translation.
+Quote Post

post Oct 6 2016, 21:37
Post #6
Pawsy_Ita

Lurker

QUOTE(Super Shanko @ Oct 6 2016, 01:00) *

First, hello. Second, to your main question about asking for copyright, no. I mean this is kind of the whole foundation to scanlating for kicks. For your third question, as most people do, you're free to pluck any and all English translated works for your own ends. I don't know of any official rules, but a s courtesy when filling out the description, link back to the original English translated gallery though, if for nothing else than to given them some credit for the base of your translation.

Thank you very much! (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
So I can pick any original comic written in English and traslate it in Italian (I'd have added obviously the credits (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) and then repost it, gotcha!
I'll start from my favorite, thanks again bro (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

post Oct 6 2016, 22:37
Post #7
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 199 (Lord)

QUOTE(Pawsy_Ita @ Oct 6 2016, 12:37) *

Thank you very much! (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
So I can pick any original comic written in English and traslate it in Italian (I'd have added obviously the credits (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) and then repost it, gotcha!
I'll start from my favorite, thanks again bro (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sure thing.
+Quote Post

post Dec 2 2016, 19:21
Post #8
webdriver

Casual Poster
Level 201 (Destined)

Can someone tell me the attachment for tonigobe sfx guide still alive or not? I can't open it. Or give me alternative source for it.

thank you

This post has been edited by webdriver: Dec 2 2016, 19:26
+Quote Post

post Dec 2 2016, 20:32
Post #9
Long Hair Enjoyer

Casual Poster
Level 386 (Godslayer)

[yourei.jp] http://yourei.jp/

A site with probably the biggest collection of example sentences for Japanese words. It lacks translations, but if you're already fairly comfortable with Japanese and need to learn the context and or usage of even the more obscure and obsolete words then this might be helpful. References are shows in the bottom right of each sentence box, and it can also be clicked for further context.

Also, it's an awesome place to find example sentences for your Anki deck.
+Quote Post

post Dec 4 2016, 11:14
Post #10
webdriver

Casual Poster
Level 201 (Destined)

QUOTE(Blurk @ Dec 3 2016, 01:32) *

[yourei.jp] http://yourei.jp/

A site with probably the biggest collection of example sentences for Japanese words. It lacks translations, but if you're already fairly comfortable with Japanese and need to learn the context and or usage of even the more obscure and obsolete words then this might be helpful. References are shows in the bottom right of each sentence box, and it can also be clicked for further context.

Also, it's an awesome place to find example sentences for your Anki deck.

thx for the suggestion, i'll see what I can do with that website later, but having the tonigobe one is more convenient for me, so it would help if someone could re-upload it.T
+Quote Post

post Dec 4 2016, 13:00
Post #11
Long Hair Enjoyer

Casual Poster
Level 386 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(webdriver @ Dec 4 2016, 12:14) *

thx for the suggestion, i'll see what I can do with that website later, but having the tonigobe one is more convenient for me, so it would help if someone could re-upload it.T

Oh, I was just posting a useful link unrelated to your comment.

Here's Tonigobe's sfx: [www.mediafire.com] https://www.mediafire.com/?447cqcgn29tgxni
+Quote Post

post Dec 4 2016, 16:46
Post #12
webdriver

Casual Poster
Level 201 (Destined)

QUOTE(Blurk @ Dec 4 2016, 18:00) *

Oh, I was just posting a useful link unrelated to your comment.

Here's Tonigobe's sfx: [www.mediafire.com] https://www.mediafire.com/?447cqcgn29tgxni

thx for the upload.
+Quote Post

post Mar 6 2017, 14:12
Post #13
Montai

Lurker

Hello. I'm new to this community. Uggh I feel like an idiot for not reading the rules. Btw I am a Mongolian. And I would like to translate English-Mongolian. It wouldn't be a much but actually lots of Mongolians come here to read. Since most of them are in English or Japanese, they have to learn English or Japanese. So I decided help by translating. (Btw I only know English.)
+Quote Post

post Jul 19 2017, 16:28
Post #14
csc5/8

Lurker
Group: Recruits
Level 120 (Lord)

redhawkscans.com is a dead link.
+Quote Post

post Sep 19 2017, 06:31
Post #15
MacKnight

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 34 (Journeyman)

Some of my old Redraw videos.
Maybe someone learn something from them (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

[www.mediafire.com] http://www.mediafire.com/file/y3tijtw2nk2/...ght+Editing.rar
[www.mediafire.com] http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ap0ao51xumasge/SNAG-0000.avi
[www.mediafire.com] http://www.mediafire.com/file/1tvv6vcjd4mm...cKnight+EDV.rar
+Quote Post

post Sep 19 2017, 14:40
Post #16
Red of EHCOVE

Viceroy of Oook & EHCOVE cofounder
Level 365 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(csc5/8 @ Jul 19 2017, 09:28) *

redhawkscans.com is a dead link.

Fixed with link to archive.org

I should probably add some more links people have posted here...
+Quote Post

post Jul 9 2018, 17:20
Post #17
sakuracircle

Casual Poster
Level 275 (Godslayer)

Is it a give that you have to edit out and redraw all SFX? I see some very difficult ones, and also big ones that looks like too much to be redrawn. I wonder if there's a middle line or compromise, like editing/redrawing out the easy ones, and letting the ridiculously large ones to stay and put a TL SFX next to it.
+Quote Post

post Jul 9 2018, 23:09
Post #18
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 199 (Lord)

QUOTE(sakuracircle @ Jul 9 2018, 08:20) *

Is it a give that you have to edit out and redraw all SFX? I see some very difficult ones, and also big ones that looks like too much to be redrawn. I wonder if there's a middle line or compromise, like editing/redrawing out the easy ones, and letting the ridiculously large ones to stay and put a TL SFX next to it.

It’s what I do. Little scribbles get replaced, big ass ones get a note. Bubbles get the works.
+Quote Post

post Jul 9 2019, 07:21
Post #19
Arumārchive

Lurker

I've been looking for a photoshop cs6 free download link for a while now, but i couldn't find any. Can someone help me with that? (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

post Jan 7 2020, 01:17
Post #20
Babamolen

Lurker

omg thanks for this FAQ! The jadednetwork one really helps!

but I wonder if there's more of simple sexy english SFX guide rather than JP to EN one? I draw sometimes and deciding on english SFX is rather hard (like using thwap / slaps for penetrating sfx..)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 17:28