Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Bad translations. Examples of., And/or awful editing, too.

post Feb 11 2011, 08:32
Post #1
Red of EHCOVE

Viceroy of Oook & EHCOVE cofounder
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 365 (Godslayer)

I have decided to start a thread on bad translations / editing, part as a warning of what we DON'T want to see, and part as a list of translations that could be rescued with some proofreading and editing, often without any help from a Japanese-reader (since some translations just need grammar/style fixes).

Here's the gallery that made me start this thread:

https://e-hentai.org/g/335629/2e6c5a79ef/

Engrish, and editing that's just terrible.

Share your favorites, and also share fixed versions of the galleries (if any of you get around to fixing them, that is).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Feb 11 2011, 10:02
Post #2
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Level 183 (Lord)

that link is fjorded, you might want to to post the name of the douijin.
+Quote Post

post Feb 11 2011, 10:06
Post #3
HabaneroJim

Now with more sarcasm.
Group: Members
Level 95 (Journeyman)

(COMIC1☆3) [Upa Koya (Endori)] Let play with riko sister (KissXSis)
Its an abomination.

This post has been edited by alloutboy27: Feb 11 2011, 10:06
+Quote Post

post Feb 11 2011, 10:16
Post #4
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Level 183 (Lord)

that made me laugh actually..
+Quote Post

post Feb 12 2011, 12:53
Post #5
vlad

Regular Poster
Level 20 (Apprentice)

Do I win the thread instantly by mentioning CGRascal and his impudent mouth?
+Quote Post

post Feb 12 2011, 23:17
Post #6
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Level 183 (Lord)

impudent means rude right?

what's wrong with it?
+Quote Post

post Feb 13 2011, 06:01
Post #7
KageSennin

只今現実逃避中
Level 358 (Godslayer)

Haha, what's up with that KissXSis doujin? It's almost like it was trying to be that bad. That's gonna have to get bookmarked (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
As far as the CGRascal - impudent mouth post, I don't see anything wrong with the sentence, but the translation is wrong, it should be more like "You won't be able to keep up that impudent talk much longer" or something along those lines (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Overall I think that this thread is a good idea, and will probably bring to light many careless rush jobs like the one in your original post.
+Quote Post

post Feb 20 2011, 14:46
Post #8
freeman86

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 114 (Ascended)

thank you for the comment.but i want to tell you that i didn't use the english as mother language and i start to learn japanese for about 2 year.

if my translate to english is so my then i'm sorry.

and if u had more suggest plz tell me more,and i'll improve it.

thank you for read my bad english.
+Quote Post

post Feb 21 2011, 03:31
Post #9
LastLuck

Newcomer
Level 205 (Destined)

What ever happened to no commenting if you didn't like it? He put effort into it and all that is returned are rude comments; how about a thank you for his work? It sucks when someone works hard on something and they get negative remarks for all the effort. Thanks for the work, freeman86.

This post has been edited by LastLuck: Feb 21 2011, 03:35
+Quote Post

post Feb 21 2011, 06:40
Post #10
Red of EHCOVE

Level 365 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(freeman86 @ Feb 20 2011, 07:46) *
thank you for the comment.but i want to tell you that i didn't use the english as mother language and i start to learn japanese for about 2 year.

if my translate to english is so my then i'm sorry.

and if u had more suggest plz tell me more,and i'll improve it.

thank you for read my bad english.

As I told you in my PM, I suggest you post your scripts here for reviewing. People who may not know Japanese can still proofread them and improve the English.

Or, you can translate them into whatever is your native language, and asks here for a your_native_language to English translator. Those are often easier to come by, and work for smaller bounties (or will do it for free if you let them post the gallery).

And yes, we do appreciate you trying to translate. Just like everything, getting things right takes practice. I hope you won't give up, but will join forces with a better English speaker.

This post has been edited by Red_Piotrus: Feb 21 2011, 06:41
+Quote Post

post Feb 23 2011, 18:29
Post #11
Nashrakh

The Toothfairy of Guro
Level 25 (Novice)

QUOTE(LastLuck @ Feb 20 2011, 20:31) *

What ever happened to no commenting if you didn't like it? He put effort into it and all that is returned are rude comments; how about a thank you for his work? It sucks when someone works hard on something and they get negative remarks for all the effort. Thanks for the work, freeman86.

You know, nothing has honesty written all over it more than some good ol' all out, speak your mind slamming.

If you just try to be nice about it, people either won't get the point or don't take it to heart. Flipside is, you better know what the fuck you're talking about. Believe me, I got slammed more than once for some baseless shit when some wannabe critic tried to lecture me on proper translation etiquette - while not knowing a lick of Japanese himself. Gotta love these guys.

Criticizing English text or editing is a lot easier though, and I can't really understand how some people outright refuse to have proofreaders or editors, and instead continue to publish subpar stuff...

Not like we don't appreciate the effort, but at the same time, you could wonder what leads people to publishing stuff that hasn't been worked out to the best of their abilities.

That said, there are about 3 people I would list here, one of which as already been mentioned.

I kinda feel bad about dropping names though because, well, what goes around, comes around, and nobody's without error and yadayada.

Don't really know what the point I'm trying to make is, but there sure are some people who could need help with their translations in various ways.

I just say, latest Takeda Hiromitsu translation. So much wrong in that one on many levels.

I guess you could say that the names of people being dropped in this thread are most likely "one man groups" - and strangely enough (or not so strangely at all), most of those can't even do basic editing. Like, levels, for example... or god forbid, redraws.
+Quote Post

post Mar 25 2011, 11:23
Post #12
vlad

Regular Poster
Level 20 (Apprentice)

QUOTE(KageSennin @ Feb 13 2011, 05:01) *

As far as the CGRascal - impudent mouth post, I don't see anything wrong with the sentence, but the translation is wrong
One would think that producing even minimally correct, or at least coherent, text would be a basic requirement, although perhaps I should have made it clear that it's the translation, not the phrasing, that bothers me.

Here's another one; CGRascal offers a neverending stream of these!
(IMG:[jamitin.nu] http://jamitin.nu/files/1_fffuuutrans.png)

I would also like to present another example of a horrible release that should never have seen the light of day: Tadashii? OS no atsukaikata
It's the first doujinshi I ever did, and it's far worse than anything I've seen from CGRascal. The editing is crap, the wording is awkward and the translation in some places just as wrong as Ritsu calling you. (Mixing up figurine/figure skating - unforgivable given the context!)

I got slammed more than once for some baseless shit when some wannabe critic tried to lecture me on proper translation etiquett
Translation etiquette? What's that even supposed to mean? Would I be far off if I ventured a guess that someone didn't like how you did/didn't remove name suffixes, did/didn't localize obscure jokes or cultural references, romanized something using kunrei/hepburn, etc. and started waving around their uninformed opinion as some sort of global standard?
+Quote Post

post Mar 26 2011, 00:50
Post #13
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Level 183 (Lord)

there should be a rule stating you must have at least JLPT2 (or equiv) to translate.
+Quote Post

post Mar 26 2011, 05:52
Post #14
Red of EHCOVE

Level 365 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(N04h @ Mar 25 2011, 18:50) *
there should be a rule stating you must have at least JLPT2 (or equiv) to translate.

And an equivalent level of English proficiency. As you can see from my opening post, I'll take CGR translations over that catastrophe any day... (and frankly, without being able to compare them to the original, most of his works "seems" good)
+Quote Post

post Mar 27 2011, 07:07
Post #15
Msgr. Radixius

If Your Crotch Don't Tingle, It Ain't Based
Level 257 (Ascended)

(IMG:[i7.photobucket.com] http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/houseofgas/fffffuck.png)

Avoid this little number and all its analogs if at all possible.
+Quote Post

post Mar 31 2011, 13:04
Post #16
vlad

Regular Poster
Level 20 (Apprentice)

Here's another good one; I bet you didn't know that about wolves!
Attached Image

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the doujinshi or who translated it, but the original dialog is more like "a human dick can't possibly be gross compared to a wolf dick."

Oh, and it's nice to see that CGRascal after 447 releases still hasn't managed to get the hang of simple verb inflections. (Original dialogue for "go take a shower!" was "シャワーを浴びさせろッ" - LET ME take a shower.)
+Quote Post

post Apr 2 2011, 00:36
Post #17
lightshader

Retired doujin editor
Level 328 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(vlad @ Mar 25 2011, 02:23) *

One would think that producing even minimally correct, or at least coherent, text would be a basic requirement, although perhaps I should have made it clear that it's the translation, not the phrasing, that bothers me.

Here's another one; CGRascal offers a neverending stream of these!
(IMG:[jamitin.nu] http://jamitin.nu/files/1_fffuuutrans.png)

Well, when I briefly did MT, I knew that it wouldn't be as accurate as actual translation, so I compensated by redundancy - double-checking with multiple MT sources as well as comparing against the context of the doujin. I would've caught that translation error just by context alone because it wouldn't have made sense after translating the previous pages.
+Quote Post

post Apr 8 2011, 16:01
Post #18
Nashrakh

The Toothfairy of Guro
Level 25 (Novice)

QUOTE(vlad @ Mar 25 2011, 04:23) *

Translation etiquette? What's that even supposed to mean? Would I be far off if I ventured a guess that someone didn't like how you did/didn't remove name suffixes, did/didn't localize obscure jokes or cultural references, romanized something using kunrei/hepburn, etc. and started waving around their uninformed opinion as some sort of global standard?

Well, I heard lots of shit from people already. Like how we're supposed to translate イク to "(I'm) going" and that you have no idea what you're doing if you don't make shit as literal as possible.

The dude in question however accused me of making up lines because I gave some characters in a translation a hilarious hillbilly accent (mainly to reflect that, in fact, they are dumb pricks).

Guess he has never seen how professional translators localize (like, movie subtitles or video games). They take far greater liberties than we hobby translators do, and they never get slammed for that, but we do because our audience apparently has a far greater sense of entitlement.

I dunno. Anyway, does it really seem like we get a lot more hacks lately or is it just me?
+Quote Post

post Apr 8 2011, 16:49
Post #19
vlad

Regular Poster
Level 20 (Apprentice)

QUOTE(Nashrakh @ Apr 8 2011, 15:01) *

I dunno. Anyway, does it really seem like we get a lot more hacks lately or is it just me?
A wild guess is that with EH gaining popularity as a place to release translations, more people see an opportunity to enlarge their e-penis by "translating" stuff. Back in the good old days when you just dumped your stuff on 4chan there wasn't much of a incentive for people to read moonrunes for the e-penis since all the crap you'd (rightfully) get for tripfagging would offset the e-penis enlargement you'd get for having a name associated with a half assed translation.

Here, on the other hand, a less critical attitude and nicknames as an integral part of the community gives that sort of ego stroking more fertile ground.
+Quote Post

post Apr 8 2011, 18:08
Post #20
Red of EHCOVE

Level 365 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Nashrakh @ Apr 8 2011, 10:01) *

Well, I heard lots of shit from people already. Like how we're supposed to translate イク to "(I'm) going" and that you have no idea what you're doing if you don't make shit as literal as possible.

The dude in question however accused me of making up lines because I gave some characters in a translation a hilarious hillbilly accent (mainly to reflect that, in fact, they are dumb pricks).

Guess he has never seen how professional translators localize (like, movie subtitles or video games). They take far greater liberties than we hobby translators do, and they never get slammed for that, but we do because our audience apparently has a far greater sense of entitlement.

Is there any translation discussion thread not in the Cove? If so, I missed it.

But professional translators can get a lot of crap thrown their way, or at least cause major discussions. Some time ago in my country a translator localized LOTR, changing all names - from Bliblo through Shire to hobbit - to our local equivalents. Trust me, this did not go down quietly...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:32