Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changes to tag voting, Stop the count!

post Mar 19 2024, 10:25
Post #1
Tenboro

Admin

Some of the fundamental rules of voting for tags have been revised.

Tag vote scores are now capped to beween 0 and 200. In other words, additional upvotes on a solid-border tag will not increase its effective power past 200.

As soon as a tag becomes solid or downvoted, this will now start a five minute lock-in timer. After this timer expires, votes for the tag are restricted in various ways.

To avoid the need to make people rush to get their votes in, everyone can still upvote solid tags for 5 minutes after the vote that turned it solid. Everyone can also downvote fully downvoted tags for 5 minutes after the vote that downed it, though with the current UI, that assumes that you didn't refresh the page.

After the five-minute lock-in timer expires, a new "soft veto" and "soft enforce" mechanism now takes effect:
- If a tag is solid, you need at least half the mod power of the highest vote in favor of it to vote it down, capped to 25.
- If a tag is downed, you need at least half the mod power of the highest vote against it to vote it up, capped to 25.

Vetoes are now counted separately in the logic, as a "veto score" which is the number of vetoers voting for it minus the number of vetoers voting against. Similar to how votes are tallied, this is capped to between 3 and -3.

These vetoes now also work both ways. If a tag has a veto score of 3, it is considered "enforced" and will be solid regardless of other votes, and cannot be downvoted by non-vetoers. If it has a veto score of -3, it is considered "vetoed" and will be downed regardless of other votes, and cannot be upvoted by non-vetoers.

If a tag is vetoed, existing votes are no longer cleared.

If a tag is fully downvoted and then revived after more than 5 minutes, it will count as if this voter was the first person voting on the tag, for toplist/blame purposes.

As tags are capped to 200, if there are conflicting language or reclass tags, instead of tie-breaking by score, the one with the earliest lock-in time wins. In other words, to make a new language or reclass tag take effect, an existing solid tag must be downvoted to at least be non-solid.

Overall, this fixes a number of existing issues with the tagging system. Most importantly, there should no longer be any significant issues with "unkillable" tags, and the way vetoes work is much cleaner. Making tags solid now has a purpose since it effectively locks them in, which is also the case for tags that are killed off without being vetoed, since in both cases incorrect casual/low-power votes are now prevented.

(Edited to make it more readable.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 14:35
Post #2
lotto09

Only likes 2D girls
Group: Members
Level 293 (Godslayer)

These days I only use tag to mark work I've read, mainly upvoting language or artist tag
what should I do now (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/cry.gif)
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 14:48
Post #3
Shank

Roll for Initiative
Group: Global Mods
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

Hopefully you were confirming they were correct before doing that, but you can try rate them instead.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 16:18
Post #4
romanicyte

Active Poster
Level 412 (Dovahkiin)

It would be very nice if there was something to distinguish a 100-199 MP tag from a 200 MP tag.

EDIT: after a quick experimentation of this new system, I disliked a part of it. I usually upvoted all tags in a gallery that I'm sure pass presence, so I usually don't have to reevaluate it if a come across the gallery again, but now I can't vote on them if they are at 200 MP...

This post has been edited by romanicyte: Mar 19 2024, 16:43
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 16:51
Post #5
-terry-

Active Poster
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

It would be very nice if there was something to distinguish a 100-199 MP tag from a 200 MP tag.

whats the point? The only difference between a solid tag with 199 mp and 200 is that the latter got 1 mp more in the 5 minute period.
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 17:04
Post #6
romanicyte

Active Poster
Level 412 (Dovahkiin)

QUOTE(-terry- @ Mar 19 2024, 11:51) *

whats the point? The only difference between a solid tag with 199 mp and 200 is that the latter got 1 mp more in the 5 minute period.

a 199 MP tag can be voted up, a 200 MP tag cannot.
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 17:24
Post #7
-terry-

Active Poster
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

QUOTE(romanicyte @ Mar 19 2024, 17:04) *

a solid border tag that's been solid for at least 5 minutes can't be upvoted further either, even if its only at 100 MP.
Getting to 200 MP should be incredibly rare now in the first place.
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 17:37
Post #8
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(lotto09 @ Mar 19 2024, 13:35) *
These days I only use tag to mark work I've read, mainly upvoting language or artist tag

Blocking people from abusing the tag system for this sounds like a feature to me.

QUOTE(romanicyte @ Mar 19 2024, 16:04) *

No it can't. The only reason the cap is 200 instead of 100 is to block some edge cases found during testing, but they become equally locked-in after the five minute grace period.
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 18:34
Post #9
peterson123

Veteran Poster
Level 500 (Godslayer)

Sounds okay I guess.

How do existing tags handle this? I.e. how are all the tags that had 200+ MP before the update handled?

I wonder if there may arise issues when MP inflation continues; e.g. if 3 vetoers vote up a tag, 6 vetoers downvote it but no other vetoer can upvote the tag because the power of the 3 upvoters minus the power of the 6 downvoters still exceeds 100, could the tag ever be un-vetoed?

E: On second thought, I do think it's suboptimal that there is no longer any way to mark a tag as valid from your POV if it already exceeds 100 MP.

This post has been edited by peterson123: Mar 19 2024, 18:38
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 18:46
Post #10
Agoraphobia

✝️ Ascension of Angel ✝️
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

QUOTE(peterson123 @ Mar 19 2024, 16:34) *
How do existing tags handle this? I.e. how are all the tags that had 200+ MP before the update handled?
They will only have 200 MP for tallying purposes.

QUOTE(peterson123 @ Mar 19 2024, 16:34) *
I wonder if there may arise issues when MP inflation continues; e.g. if 3 vetoers vote up a tag, 6 vetoers downvote it but no other vetoer can upvote the tag because the power of the 3 upvoters minus the power of the 6 downvoters still exceeds 100, could the tag ever be un-vetoed?
Vetoers are not limited by the MP restriction. They can always up or down a tag accordingly.
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 18:55
Post #11
peterson123

Veteran Poster
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Agoraphobia @ Mar 19 2024, 17:46) *
Vetoers are not limited by the MP restriction. They can always up or down a tag accordingly.

Am I not a vetoer anymore? (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/cry.gif)
Because I tried and I cannot upvote solid tags.

On another note, given that differences in MP power for solid tags don't have much meaning after this update, it would be cool if they were sorted alphabetically.

This post has been edited by peterson123: Mar 19 2024, 18:59
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 18:59
Post #12
Agoraphobia

✝️ Ascension of Angel ✝️
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

QUOTE(peterson123 @ Mar 19 2024, 16:55) *
Am I not a vetoer anymore? (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/cry.gif)
Because I tried and I cannot upvote solid tags.
Eh, worded it poorly. I mean you can always upvote a vetoed tag, and downvote an enforced tag, without needing to worry about the MP restrictions.

So for the scenario you just talked about, another vetoer can still upvote that vetoed tag without worrying about the MP limit.

QUOTE(peterson123 @ Mar 19 2024, 16:55) *
On another note, given that differences in MP power for solid tags don't have much meaning after this update, it would be cool if they were sorted alphabetically.
You can always sort tags in alphabetical order:
https://e-hentai.org/uconfig.php

> Scroll to Gallery Tags
> Sort order for gallery tags: Alphabetical
> Profit
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 19:08
Post #13
peterson123

Veteran Poster
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Agoraphobia @ Mar 19 2024, 17:59) *
Eh, worded it poorly. I mean you can always upvote a vetoed tag, and downvote a enforced tag, without needing to worry about the MP restrictions.

So for the scenario you just talked about, another vetoer can still upvoted that vetoed tag without worrying about the MP limit (capped at 25 fwiw).

I am unsure about this. The other vetoer might not be able to upvote the vetoed tag due to that tag having 100+ MP. So in my scenario, the tag is hidden due to having a hard veto (veto score of -3) but it may not be possible to unveto it, due to its 100+ MP preventing upvotes.

Admittedly the scenario is pretty theoretical, but if it ever happens and doesn't work as intended we are gonna be pretty spooked.

QUOTE(Agoraphobia @ Mar 19 2024, 17:59) *
You can always sort tags in alphabetical order:
https://e-hentai.org/uconfig.php
I am aware of this option, but that mixes solid and non-solid tags. What I wanted is the solid tags in alphabetical order and then the other tags in strength order.
This is made somewhat worse by tags of the same power currently being sorted alphabetically reversed (or so it seems).
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 19:18
Post #14
Agoraphobia

✝️ Ascension of Angel ✝️
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

QUOTE(peterson123 @ Mar 19 2024, 17:08) *
I am unsure about this. The other vetoer might not be able to upvote the vetoed tag due to that tag having 100+ MP. So in my scenario, the tag is hidden due to having a hard veto (veto score of -3) but it may not be possible to unveto it, due to its 100+ MP preventing upvotes.

Admittedly the scenario is pretty theoretical, but if it ever happens and doesn't work as intended we are gonna be pretty spooked.
That tag would be considered as a vetoed tag first rather than an enforced one. So no, you can still upvote and unveto it (just tested it).
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 21:14
Post #15
Z.G.

I'm the sukebei, for I am holding all hentai in my hands
Level 271 (Ascended)

I'm having mixed feeling about this: I use the tag power order to check what I could possibly (dis)like. Now, given the cap I don't have that option, it's not something I'm happy with.
Now, I imagine and as you said, it's also better to avoid abuse. So well... If it was possible to have somehow that back (I doubt it's possible though) it'll be great, else well... I guess I'll deal with it!

@Tenboro: the link from the news page (https://e-hentai.org/news.php) seems broken : https://forums.e-hentai.org/index.php?showtopic=0 instead of https://forums.e-hentai.org/index.php?showtopic=275134

QUOTE(lotto09 @ Mar 19 2024, 12:35) *

Rate the gallery. If you read it, give it a mark if not don't.

This post has been edited by Z.G.: Mar 19 2024, 21:21
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 21:28
Post #16
noones

Casual Poster
Level 379 (Godslayer)

Just a note about the "news" post, the show comments link at the bottom is broken (at least for me). Tries to go to showtopic=0.
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 21:30
Post #17
Tenboro

Admin

The logic around whether a tag is locked in or not is based on the effective score of the tag, not the raw vote score. A vetoed tag would have an effective score of 0, so a vetoer can still upvote it. (Though there is a minor quirk here, as it would instantly lock-in as solid.)

QUOTE(Z.G. @ Mar 19 2024, 20:14) *
@Tenboro: the link from the news page (https://e-hentai.org/news.php) seems broken : https://forums.e-hentai.org/index.php?showtopic=0 instead of https://forums.e-hentai.org/index.php?showtopic=275134

QUOTE(noones @ Mar 19 2024, 20:28) *
Just a note about the "news" post, the show comments link at the bottom is broken (at least for me). Tries to go to showtopic=0.

Should be fixed now, thanks.
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 21:45
Post #18
peterson123

Veteran Poster
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Agoraphobia @ Mar 19 2024, 18:18) *
That tag would be considered as a vetoed tag first rather than an enforced one. So no, you can still upvote and unveto it (just tested it).

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Mar 19 2024, 20:30) *
The logic around whether a tag is locked in or not is based on the effective score of the tag, not the raw vote score. A vetoed tag would have an effective score of 0, so a vetoer can still upvote it. (Though there is a minor quirk here, as it would instantly lock-in as solid.)

Thank you both for confirming this!
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2024, 22:41
Post #19
Danio

Lurker
Group: Recruits

QUOTE(lotto09 @ Mar 19 2024, 13:35) *

Lol! I do exactly the same. Voting up the language or the artist tag is harmless enough if you're sure about the tag.
Besides, if the tag is already at 200 you won't influence it any more anyway.

Others have suggesting rating works that you've read. That does have the advantage of being visible in the gallery list.
But if I like something I'll bookmark it. That only leaves works I don't like. I'd rather not (negatively) influence the score of those works, just because they aren't my cup of tea...

The situation reminds me of [xkcd.com] this comic by XKCD... (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Maybe having a way to mark works as read would be accepted as a feature request?

This post has been edited by Danio: Mar 19 2024, 22:50
+Quote Post

post Mar 20 2024, 01:07
Post #20
romanicyte

Active Poster
Level 412 (Dovahkiin)

QUOTE(-terry- @ Mar 19 2024, 12:24) *

a solid border tag that's been solid for at least 5 minutes can't be upvoted further either, even if its only at 100 MP.
Getting to 200 MP should be incredibly rare now in the first place.

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Mar 19 2024, 12:37) *

No it can't. The only reason the cap is 200 instead of 100 is to block some edge cases found during testing, but they become equally locked-in after the five minute grace period.

Ah, I see, I read it wrong then, sorry.

But my wish still exists, I wish we could still upvote a solid border tag, even if the MP isn't counted for it.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 16:51