Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raspberry Pi, Low power server

post Jun 6 2012, 04:50
Post #1
Hobbitmon

Casual Toaster
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 450 (Godslayer)

Got my Raspberry Pi last week and managed to get it setup and running Hentai@Home.

Currently using the Debian distro on 224/32 memory split. Had trouble at first with OpenJDK being slow but switched to Oracle's JRE and it is much faster now.

CODE
pi@raspberrypi:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_32"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition for Embedded (build 1.6.0_32-b05, headless)
Java HotSpot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 20.7-b02, mixed mode)

It has been up about 2 days now, and H@H seems to be running about the same as it did on my 6 year old craptop.

My internet connection isn't that great but the client seems to be handling 400-425 KB/s uploads fairly easily; speedtest says the connection can go faster but I haven't seen anything upload faster than low 400's.

Anyways, just thought I'd put this info out in case anyone was thinking of trying the same.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Jun 6 2012, 06:58
Post #2
Spectre

The Bell Tolls for All.
Group: Global Mods
Level 272 (Godslayer)

Ha ha, nice. When I first read about the Raspberry Pi the first thing I thought was "hey, that'd make a neat torrent system... OR H@H server..."

Glad to see someone else had the same idea.
+Quote Post

post Jun 6 2012, 16:17
Post #3
elda88

Orang tuaku bodoh babi
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 500 (Godslayer)

I've read that the Raspberry Pi is suppose to be a learning tool for basic programming and DIY hacks. Did it take much effort in terms of programming to get the Hentai@Home server on the Pi?
+Quote Post

post Jun 7 2012, 00:04
Post #4
Hobbitmon

Casual Toaster
Level 450 (Godslayer)

Not really, pretty much the same as it would be setting up the client to run on a regular linux box assuming you know your way around a terminal.

Things that have bugged me a bit: iptables not working due to netfilter missing in the current kernel, and processor utilization is very high when H@H downloads a file.
+Quote Post

post Jun 7 2012, 01:34
Post #5
Spectre

The Bell Tolls for All.
Level 272 (Godslayer)

I imagine running a relatively high I/O program like H@H is not the safest nor friendliest routine for an SD card either.
+Quote Post

post Jun 7 2012, 02:40
Post #6
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Level 183 (Lord)

Some ppl are using it as a media center pc.
+Quote Post

post Jun 7 2012, 02:51
Post #7
Hobbitmon

Casual Toaster
Level 450 (Godslayer)

Currently using a 32GB flash drive to hold the cache. Considering moving my /main over there as well since ye olde sdcard is somewhat slow:

CODE
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/mmcblk0p1

/dev/mmcblk0p1:
Timing buffered disk reads:  14 MB in  3.15 seconds =   4.44 MB/sec

versus

CODE
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffered disk reads:  72 MB in  3.04 seconds =  23.66 MB/sec
+Quote Post

post Jun 7 2012, 16:25
Post #8
tentacle-man61

Achievement Unlocked: CATS! CATS! CATS!
Group: Members
Level 255 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Hobbitmon @ Jun 6 2012, 20:51) *

Currently using a 32GB flash drive to hold the cache. Considering moving my /main over there as well since ye olde sdcard is somewhat slow:

CODE
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/mmcblk0p1

/dev/mmcblk0p1:
Timing buffered disk reads:  14 MB in  3.15 seconds =   4.44 MB/sec

versus

CODE
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffered disk reads:  72 MB in  3.04 seconds =  23.66 MB/sec

Running anything from external memory is going to be slower than running from local hard-drive.
+Quote Post

post Jun 7 2012, 20:16
Post #9
Hobbitmon

Casual Toaster
Level 450 (Godslayer)

Last I checked, "external memory" included "local hard drive" since we're talking transactions that take place millions of times slower than a single
cpu clock cycle.

Also, In this case the "local hard drive" (/dev/mmcblk0p1) would be the slower sdcard - my interpretation since it is the boot device.

The Pi does have serious limitations in terms of what it can do when there isn't any dedicated logic to handle the task. I think in this case I got off easy since the Oracle JVM is probably using JIT.

I'm just happy it was cheap, works decently, and lets me turn off my computer at night.

This post has been edited by Hobbitmon: Jun 7 2012, 20:17
+Quote Post

post Jun 8 2012, 00:58
Post #10
Spectre

The Bell Tolls for All.
Level 272 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Hobbitmon @ Jun 7 2012, 14:16) *

I'm just happy it was cheap, works decently, and lets me turn off my computer at night.

I have one computer running 24/7, but it also handles my email, instant messaging, mIRC, and torrents when I do them, so it does too much to turn off and let a raspberry pi do it. THAT system lets me turn off my main/gaming computer lol.

Though, if I had 2-3 raspberryPi's and linked them with a KVM... lol.
+Quote Post

post Jun 8 2012, 02:16
Post #11
Hobbitmon

Casual Toaster
Level 450 (Godslayer)

Yeah, I'd be willing to run something like one of those Intel NUCs 24/7 but the Raspberry Pi is available now, so I'll use that.

Don't think it is quite fit to do so many tasks at once. Heck, even my phone has more computing power (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2013, 01:46
Post #12
tehfish

Lurker
Group: Recruits
Level 44 (Newbie)

Resurrecting an old thread, but seemed the most relevant/recent one i could find (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For years i've been using my Thecus NAS as my H@H server, but during a botched HDD upgrade it got wiped (had backed up the data. but turns out the system modules, including the edited one i had to add java and the H@H client, was not backed up anywhere (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/sad.gif))

Can't for the life of me work out how i set it up in the first place at the moment, so for now i set up a temporary H@H server on my raspberry pi.

Biggest difference to the guide on the first post: there is now a hardware floating-point version of java for the pi, which should be faster* (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

[blogs.oracle.com] https://blogs.oracle.com/hinkmond/entry/qui...ting_hard_float

CODE
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ java -version
java version "1.8.0-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-ea-b36e)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.0-b04, mixed mode)

*No idea how much that helps H@H, at the distant edge of my techy knowledge here (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: it's been running a while now, have seen some transfers hit ~800kb/sec, which seems quite impressive for such cheap low power hardware (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The cache is on an old PS3 40GB 2.5" HDD here via a USB adaptor

CODE
2013-01-06T00:49:08Z [info] {40/2.216.xxx.xxx}    Code=200 Bytes=326453   GET /h/098faab327c1e8863b1251bac2c85ccc989e579c-326453-1280-720-jpg/keystamp=1357433348-2a28384a2e/14_11.jpg HTTP/1.1
2013-01-06T00:49:09Z [info] {40/2.216.xxx.xxx}    Code=200 Bytes=326453   Finished processing request in 0.42 seconds (786.63 KB/s)

CODE
2013-01-06T00:52:22Z [info] {59/95.150.xxx.xxx}   Code=200 Bytes=303305   GET /h/7422e938a6b571258aa14429af112121710f620c-303305-1200-1732-jpg/keystamp=1357433542-50d86a8499/005.jpg HTTP/1.1
2013-01-06T00:52:22Z [info] {59/95.150.xxx.xxx}   Code=200 Bytes=303305   Finished processing request in 0.38 seconds (808.81 KB/s)

Though picture downloads to it's cache do seem to still max out the CPU at the time for some reason...

This post has been edited by tehfish: Jan 6 2013, 03:15
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2013, 06:33
Post #13
blue penguin

in umbra, igitur, pugnabimus
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(tehfish @ Jan 5 2013, 23:46) *

Biggest difference to the guide on the first post: there is now a hardware floating-point version of java for the pi, which should be faster* (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: it's been running a while now, have seen some transfers hit ~800kb/sec, which seems quite impressive for such cheap low power hardware (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The cache is on an old PS3 40GB 2.5" HDD here via a USB adaptor

Yeah, the new open JDK build for the raspbian works well with H@H. The fact of the open JDK being a little faster or slower that the oracle java doesn't matter much. In the end you run piece of code that is NOT coming from oracle and that's a success on it's own (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/happy.gif).

I believe I have a very similar setup to you tehfish, a raspberry pi connected to an old HDD through USB. I'm running the setup for a handful of months therefore let me just point out one small issue I had, before you fall in it: The raspberry is very power limited and both the ethernet card and the usb controllers can suck much power. At the beginning I tried using a new HDD powered through the main USB connection only, it did work but the network transfer was very slow. The power remaining after powering the HDD was not enough for the ethernet card and limited the raspberry greatly. Switching to an older HDD with an external power supply increased the raspberrys performance greatly.

Looking at the numbers: When stable (let's say half an hour after boot) my H@H uses about 10-20% of CPU and 70-80% of memory. On the other hand, during the boot, when H@H and the website sync files, the CPU usage is maxed out for me as well.

Thanks for dumping the info about the open JDK. I though of writting it myself but was too lazy...
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2013, 06:59
Post #14
tehfish

Lurker
Group: Recruits
Level 44 (Newbie)

QUOTE(blue penguin @ Jan 6 2013, 04:33) *

Yeah, the new open JDK build for the raspbian works well with H@H. The fact of the open JDK being a little faster or slower that the oracle java doesn't matter much. In the end you run piece of code that is NOT coming from oracle and that's a success on it's own (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/happy.gif).

I believe I have a very similar setup to you tehfish, a raspberry pi connected to an old HDD through USB. I'm running the setup for a handful of months therefore let me just point out one small issue I had, before you fall in it: The raspberry is very power limited and both the ethernet card and the usb controllers can suck much power. At the beginning I tried using a new HDD powered through the main USB connection only, it did work but the network transfer was very slow. The power remaining after powering the HDD was not enough for the ethernet card and limited the raspberry greatly. Switching to an older HDD with an external power supply increased the raspberrys performance greatly.

Looking at the numbers: When stable (let's say half an hour after boot) my H@H uses about 10-20% of CPU and 70-80% of memory. On the other hand, during the boot, when H@H and the website sync files, the CPU usage is maxed out for me as well.

Thanks for dumping the info about the open JDK. I though of writing it myself but was too lazy...

Interesting (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You really have pushed me into fixing my NAS: <a href="http://www.thecus.com/product.php?PROD_ID=26" target="_blank"></a>: (default: 512mb): (total 2Gb RAM) (but a 1.6ghz atom cpu rather than the 700mhz arm cpu...)

It is a linux system, just additions are limited via the module system witch makes it a pain to do. I did it before, just need to do it again (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by tehfish: Jan 6 2013, 07:05
+Quote Post

post Jan 11 2013, 23:51
Post #15
Imnafoy

Newcomer
Level 111 (Lord)

Hi, I'm thinking about buying [www.miniand.com] Hackberry rather then Raspberry Pi. Anyone with experience with this board?
Well, I'd like to use it for H@H, personal git server, source for icecast streaming and maybe as media center...
+Quote Post

post Jan 12 2013, 04:12
Post #16
Hobbitmon

Casual Toaster
Level 450 (Godslayer)

Best thing the Pi has going for it is all the development attention. If you have reasons for wanting to go with the Hackberry, it seems that it should be capable for H@H. Dunno about running all of that stuff at once though.
+Quote Post

post Jan 12 2013, 05:00
Post #17
blue penguin

in umbra, igitur, pugnabimus
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Imnafoy @ Jan 11 2013, 21:51) *

Hi, I'm thinking about buying [www.miniand.com] Hackberry rather then Raspberry Pi. Anyone with experience with this board?
Well, I'd like to use it for H@H, personal git server, source for icecast streaming and maybe as media center...

Hobbitmon is very wise in his words. First, the Hackberry might have a lack of developers working on, Android is not as free as it advertises itself; For example, we from the FSF consider androind a non-free OS and refuse to port code for it. Second is that you have hopes too high for including h@h, git, some kind of streaming all in a small box. The Hackberry is about 2-3 times more powerful than the Raspberry, it will run h@h and be able to provide a good development environment at the same time but It would be hard to believe that you can run much more than that on a small box.

This does not undermine the fact that having a small Linux box at home next to your router have a lot of advantages. Android is still better than a few other OSes in both terms of usability and freedom, and you probably can find a lot of precompiled packages for it. I mention pre compiled packages because compiling from source oon ARM machines is still rather painful (at least compared to doing it on x86 or x86_64 machines).
+Quote Post

post Jan 12 2013, 06:19
Post #18
GanGun

Pans Pans Pans Pans Pans
Level 226 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(blue penguin @ Jan 12 2013, 04:00) *

Hobbitmon is very wise in his words. First, the Hackberry might have a lack of developers working on, Android is not as free as it advertises itself; For example, we from the FSF consider androind a non-free OS and refuse to port code for it. Second is that you have hopes too high for including h@h, git, some kind of streaming all in a small box. The Hackberry is about 2-3 times more powerful than the Raspberry, it will run h@h and be able to provide a good development environment at the same time but It would be hard to believe that you can run much more than that on a small box.

This does not undermine the fact that having a small Linux box at home next to your router have a lot of advantages. Android is still better than a few other OSes in both terms of usability and freedom, and you probably can find a lot of precompiled packages for it. I mention pre compiled packages because compiling from source oon ARM machines is still rather painful (at least compared to doing it on x86 or x86_64 machines).

From what I understand it you CAN use various Linux distrobutions on Hackberry A10, but if it require any hacking I do not know.

If you want raw performance for a low price, I would recommend the most suited x86_64 board you can find.

Also the reply interface icons are.. Rather broken.

This post has been edited by GanGun : Jan 17 2013, 04:23
+Quote Post

post Feb 5 2013, 00:31
Post #19
Pillowgirl

Grammatically Incorrect (☞゚∀゚)☞
Level 479 (Godslayer)

Thanks for introducing me to raspberry pi and hackberry, i'm thinking of using the pi for a wifi repeater and the hackberry as a htpc.
+Quote Post

post Feb 5 2013, 12:49
Post #20
Imnafoy

Newcomer
Level 111 (Lord)

QUOTE(Pillowgirl @ Feb 4 2013, 23:31) *

i'm thinking of using the pi for a wifi repeater

Not that I really care, but why dont you buy AP with wifi repeater, which is cheaper and more suitable than pi
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 23:22