Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> A Beginner's Guide to Why Other Forum Users Hate You, I'm being genuinely helpful here, I swear
'Cause I'm such a god damn know-it-all
Did this need to be said?
Yes [ 66 ] ** [46.15%]
No [ 32 ] ** [22.38%]
Y u no haz avatar mr numbername?!?! [ 45 ] ** [31.47%]
Total Votes: 143

post Jan 31 2012, 03:29
Post #41
Honeycat

Extra Hissy
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Robbie Pie @ Jan 30 2012, 14:55) *

Cliques are for niggers who can't speak English and weak people who can't survive individually without associating themselves with gimmicks and fads.

Gee, Robbie Pie, isn't that the truth.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 03:53
Post #42
Msgr. Radixius

If Your Crotch Don't Tingle, It Ain't Based
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 257 (Ascended)

QUOTE(Lolicon_of_Sin @ Jan 30 2012, 19:26) *

Pardon? I made my own thread for that. I didn't attack any others. I don't think I have ever dropped a single post in MLP General.

General Chat's LTYT thread when the cutie marks were implemented had you off your hinges yet again. The last part of that sentence, on our part, is indefensible. However, fun is fun. And it can be had by anyone.

QUOTE(Lolicon_of_Sin @ Jan 30 2012, 19:26) *

Also, I've learned 1 thing since that "hissy fit", and that's the fact that the hardcore MLP fans 'round here can't take a joke.

Depends. Humor is subjective, ergo chiding a lot of people for not finding whatever immature wankery you may have found to be hilarious... somehow... is kind of bizarre.

A lot of things are subjective and some people are fucking stupid and make them objective, which I don't understand at all.

I've learned a few things over the years, most of which is that blanket statements are a failsafe for the ignorant. Mayhap it wasn't that, as you are wont to decide, MLP fans can't take a joke, but perhaps that joke was either not funny, poorly executed or, perhaps even incorrectly identified by the teller as jest when it clearly wasn't. Obviously, I've had my fair share of the latter. I may deem things humorous, but Joes who may run the gamut from Average to Maximum might not share my opinion. Decrying these people as "not having a sense of humor... what's that really doing? You tell me, what with your sage-like wisdom in the field of comedy.

Frankly, yes, we could be less abrasive and vitriolic out of the gate. We could. And I'd be welcome to do so if the dotards that rush to these new posters' so-called rescue would stop relaying false information about the community and making all of us look bad.

Not just Rob. Not just cappy. Not just me.

All of us.

But, so be it. I'll let posts and threads be if you collectively want me to, and only participate in LTYT threads if you think it will be a boon to the community. Because, whether you believe it or not; I kind of give a shit about this place underneath all the effacing humor.

But really, look at the posts I make in those threads. Look at their placement. Look at when I react, and what I react to. Don't just read the words I've typed, but take in the whole thing. Does it happen without any prior antagonism on the part of the new poster, or is it when they lash out at someone I may consider a friend as much as one can in such a situation?

I can welcome new people. After some poking and prodding I'm alright with Azrael. I'm alright with removesdust. I've loved Blorg since he started, and Benji even if he feels the need to chastise me every few months. I welcomed Pseudo when he was just a random numbername in the GSC. StarLightKuro, rainbowmagnum, countless others. Hell, I was even kind to Anto when he first started, and we all know where that one got us.

So go ahead, gents: Tell me what you want.
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:09
Post #43
Lolicon_of_Sin

I rek all u cheeky cunts I swear on me mum
Group: Members
Level 48 (Artisan)

QUOTE(radixius @ Jan 31 2012, 04:53) *

General Chat's LTYT thread when the cutie marks were implemented had you off your hinges yet again.

Alright. What did I say about those? I wondered what they are, and I said they're kind of irritating. A bit after that, I said I'm okay with it because I filtered em out with an addon. Oh lord, it definitely had me off my hinges... yeah. Moooving on.

QUOTE(radixius @ Jan 31 2012, 04:53) *

Depends. Humor is subjective, ergo chiding a lot of people for not finding whatever immature wankery you may have found to be hilarious... somehow... is kind of bizarre.

A lot of things are subjective and some people are fucking stupid and make them objective, which I don't understand at all.

I just presumed the humorous undertone was obvious enough. Think I should add a "Disclaimer: " part to my posts next time I'm being humourous again? Because my sense of humour just happens to be of a potentially offensive kind that you people don't seem to receive well.

This post has been edited by Lolicon_of_Sin: Jan 31 2012, 04:11
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:13
Post #44
Msgr. Radixius

Level 257 (Ascended)

QUOTE(Lolicon_of_Sin @ Jan 30 2012, 20:09) *

I just presumed the humorous undertone was obvious enough. Think I should add a "Disclaimer: " part to my posts next time I'm being humourous again? Because my sense of humour just happens to be of a potentially offensive kind that you people don't seem to receive well.

Nope, I just declared that it's subjective. Do what you want, but just because it's written doesn't mean we'll find it particularly humorous. And why should we, honestly?
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:18
Post #45
Lolicon_of_Sin

Level 48 (Artisan)

QUOTE(radixius @ Jan 31 2012, 05:13) *

Nope, I just declared that it's subjective. Do what you want, but just because it's written doesn't mean we'll find it particularly humorous. And why should we, honestly?

You shouldn't. It wasn't aimed at MLP fans, you know. It was aimed at any MLP haters. If I would really feel the need to smack a joke like that into your face, I would've probably done so in MLP General.
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:19
Post #46
Msgr. Radixius

Level 257 (Ascended)

You sure are moving on, aren't you?
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:19
Post #47
Lolicon_of_Sin

Level 48 (Artisan)

Evading the point, rad?
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:25
Post #48
bakabombdood

Napping my life away!
Level 232 (Godslayer)

Hm, I'm still rather new to this forum/social site thingy so my opinion may not matter much, but I have come to really enjoy this site as well as the people here. I'd actually miss rad, rob, cap, psudo, mal, or any of the more regular members if they quit participating, hell they are the reason this place is so enjoyable. Quite frankly, we newer members do deserve chastising and criticism for lacking common sense or being lazy when seeking help (top right = search engine thingy, not hard at all), and some (ex) members that have been here are rather tiresome (that franco ferrero guy or whatever his name was for instance), it is rather hard to give us lurkers any benefit of the doubt when you have faced so many spammers and the like (one has to admit that most of the internet is like this). Oh, and rad, please don't stop posting, that would make me really sad...
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:27
Post #49
Msgr. Radixius

Level 257 (Ascended)

QUOTE(Lolicon_of_Sin @ Jan 30 2012, 20:19) *

Evading the point, rad?

Not at all. See, that was a joke at your expense. Did you find it humorous?

Don't bother answering because that's what we in the industry of "Not Bad At Words, LLC" call rhetorical.

Besides, like I wrote before, that was indefensible on our part. Or do you lack the ability to read up to a certain point? I can go and make that text bigger for you if you want me to. In any case, that wasn't what I call "offensive". On the contrary, I find that kind of stuff to be... What's a good word for this?

Juvenile. I think that fits the crux of the scenario.

You took your joke thread. And we made jokes about your joke thread not being particularly well thought out, pre-planned or, honestly, immune to the treatment that it received as it was screaming very loudly for that brand of retaliation. The fact that you're bringing it up shows just how much of a chip you have on your shoulder about it. And that, sir, is rather sad. Sure, you can declare that this was your point all along, but it wasn't, especially since it's already been dealt with. In fact, it was dealt with on this very page, again, where I wrote it was indefensible.

You remember that?
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 04:40
Post #50
removesdust

Goku.
Level 12 (Novice)

Ponies have barely visible boobs, you should give them a chance, LoS.
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 05:01
Post #51
Azraelgt

..-. ..- -.-. -.- / -.-- --- ..-
Level 368 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(radixius @ Jan 30 2012, 19:53) *

But really, look at the posts I make in those threads. Look at their placement. Look at when I react, and what I react to. Don't just read the words I've typed, but take in the whole thing. Does it happen without any prior antagonism on the part of the new poster, or is it when they lash out at someone I may consider a friend as much as one can in such a situation?

I can welcome new people. After some poking and prodding I'm alright with Azrael. I'm alright with removesdust. I've loved Blorg since he started, and Benji even if he feels the need to chastise me every few months. I welcomed Pseudo when he was just a random numbername in the GSC. StarLightKuro, rainbowmagnum, countless others. Hell, I was even kind to Anto when he first started, and we all know where that one got us.

Just be who you are Rad, same goes for Pseudoshy, Rob, Fourt, Benji, LoS, Tens, everyone.

Your personalities are what makes this place amazing. Why? because the sense of humor required to belong to this place demands satyre, sarcasm and the undeniable element of being able to take a joke.

This forum is a great place, all of you have helped me with insight and great laughs more than once.

When i first came here i saw a community that at first glance was sarcastic, acidic and quite frankly beyond my league of intelligence. And i wanted to belong.

If others, can't figure that out or are too sensitive, well boo hoo, fuck you Assholes.

+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 06:59
Post #52
3dpd_lover

You maggot premature ejaculator! Fuck me anyway.
Level 77 (Champion)

Ever since Gelbooru introduced avatars to its forum community, I decided to explore the impact avatars had on users attitude and behavior towards you.

When I brought it up on that community, they immedietely changed their avatars to something dramatically different to see what would happen.

I think I'm on to something.

In off-internet human society, the face reveals the soul. No face, no soul. No soul, not human. Not worthy of human compassion.

By having an avatar, especially one with a face (Human or not may be partially irrelavent), it somehow causes people to treat you like you have a soul. Even if it isn't even your real face, it is the closest thing you have to one on the internet.

This post has been edited by 3dpd_lover: Jan 31 2012, 07:00
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 07:24
Post #53
FourThirteen

An unfortunate lunatic
Level 291 (Godslayer)

Ignoring the threads would at best do nothing, and at worst leave the delusion in the poster's head that it's somehow acceptable for them to spam the forums with new threads. Ignoring a problem doesn't typically do anything to solve it. How is anyone going to learn their behavior is antisocial until they have it pointed out to them? Being polite is exhausting, and more importantly, often fails to make a difference. This is why people resort to rudeness. In some cases, somebody really needs something to rattle their sensibilities before they can wake up.

I forget if I told anybody this, but the first Internet forum I was really a part of was populated largely by the stale leftovers of the Something Awful community. They treated me like shit when I first joined. I didn't quit. My behavior was understandably more subdued as a result, but I quickly understood why they wanted that to be the case, and I started to sympathize over time as I saw more newbies coming in making the same kinds of mistakes I did.

Now, this is not to say that veteran members are a sacred cabal that is exempt from the rules, nor are they exempt from a ball bust when the situation calls for it. We're all newbies on some level. A veteran is just a newbie who has new hurdles to jump.

QUOTE(Benjiro @ Jan 30 2012, 18:19) *

Based on how you estimate the newfag to behave, this is a bad suggestion. Some might be daunted by something like that, I know I would, and maybe they'll never want to post ever again, wich isn't taht good either, think of the opportunities!

No, that's actually the ideal. In a perfect world, most of us would hardly ever post because we rarely have anything worthwhile to say.

QUOTE(3dpd_lover @ Jan 30 2012, 23:59) *

Ever since Gelbooru introduced avatars to its forum community, I decided to explore the impact avatars had on users attitude and behavior towards you.

When I brought it up on that community, they immedietely changed their avatars to something dramatically different to see what would happen.

I think I'm on to something.
In off-internet human society, the face reveals the soul. No face, no soul. No soul, not human. Not worthy of human compassion.

By having an avatar, especially one with a face (Human or not may be partially irrelavent), it somehow causes people to treat you like you have a soul. Even if it isn't even your real face, it is the closest thing you have to one on the internet.

This is part of the reason I want to draw my own avatar; it's the closest anybody will get to seeing my true face (or one shadow of it, anyway). Not to sound conceited, but I tend to think I'm a complicated person.
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 10:49
Post #54
Raaby

Smile on, you pigs in human clothing.
Level 238 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenseigamoon @ Jan 30 2012, 20:29) *

Gee, Robbie Pie, isn't that the truth.

It sure is, every gay stereotype.

It sure is.

QUOTE(radixius @ Jan 30 2012, 20:53) *

World peas.

QUOTE(removesdust @ Jan 30 2012, 21:40) *

Everypony should give ponies a chance.
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 17:23
Post #55
Lolicon_of_Sin

Level 48 (Artisan)

QUOTE(removesdust @ Jan 31 2012, 05:40) *

It's not really the ponies themselves that annoy me. More like the attention whores.

Hmmm. Heh. Attention horse.

QUOTE(radixius @ Jan 31 2012, 05:27) *

Not at all. See, that was a joke at your expense. Did you find it humorous?

Ah, a joke I didn't detect. Well, very good, guess that's settled then.

This post has been edited by Lolicon_of_Sin: Jan 31 2012, 17:25
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 19:45
Post #56
BrainSucks

Not Bayonetta
Level 133 (Lord)

QUOTE(bakabombdood @ Jan 31 2012, 04:25) *

I'd actually miss rad, rob, cap, psudo, mal, or any of the more regular members if they quit participating, hell they are the reason this place is so enjoyable.

If they were, then this whole forum would be as good as dead.

QUOTE(FourThirteen @ Jan 31 2012, 07:24) *

Ignoring the threads would at best do nothing, and at worst leave the delusion in the poster's head that it's somehow acceptable for them to spam the forums with new threads. Ignoring a problem doesn't typically do anything to solve it. How is anyone going to learn their behavior is antisocial until they have it pointed out to them? Being polite is exhausting, and more importantly, often fails to make a difference. This is why people resort to rudeness. In some cases, somebody really needs something to rattle their sensibilities before they can wake up.

I forget if I told anybody this, but the first Internet forum I was really a part of was populated largely by the stale leftovers of the Something Awful community. They treated me like shit when I first joined. I didn't quit. My behavior was understandably more subdued as a result, but I quickly understood why they wanted that to be the case, and I started to sympathize over time as I saw more newbies coming in making the same kinds of mistakes I did.

Not everyone is emotionally strong 413, I also had some bad years. In my 1st job, all of my superiors were
treated me like a dog. I had bad experience in a game forum, because most of them were complete dickheads.
Even if that awakens some of my sensibilities, I can't accept the mentality of "people are stupid" or "life is meaningless".

Conclusion: I don't feel hate. Rage yeah sometimes, but not hate, 'cause I can forgive easily.
I'm always nice with everyone, as long they're nice with me.

I'm not saying that anyone who likes being rude has to be polite. Type swear words, make sarcastic
jokes e.t.c, but don't overdo it by treating some newbies like they're some kind of retards.

As for the problem, I agree that there must be a solution with the meaningless threads.
But this is something that you have to discuss with the admin & mods. For example suggest a function in the "post new thread"
button, while pressing it a pop-up warning message will appear. That way, the newbies will be more cautious.

QUOTE(Lolicon_of_Sin @ Jan 31 2012, 17:23) *

Hmmm. Heh. Attention horse.

SIR, YES SIR!!!

(IMG:[operatorchan.org] http://operatorchan.org/arch/src/n130944_MLP%20Rainbow%20Salute.png)
+Quote Post

post Jan 31 2012, 19:45
Post #57
Cloudkitty

Old Heart
Level 62 (Master)

bakaboomer´s post was cool,,, a taddle emotional, but cool!
+Quote Post

post Feb 1 2012, 01:51
Post #58
FourThirteen

An unfortunate lunatic
Level 291 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(BrainSucks @ Jan 31 2012, 12:45) *

Not everyone is emotionally strong 413, I also had some bad years. In my 1st job, all of my superiors were
treated me like a dog. I had bad experience in a game forum, because most of them were complete dickheads.
Even if that awakens some of my sensibilities, I can't accept the mentality of "people are stupid" or "life is meaningless".

Conclusion: I don't feel hate. Rage yeah sometimes, but not hate, 'cause I can forgive easily.
I'm always nice with everyone, as long they're nice with me.

I'm not saying that anyone who likes being rude has to be polite. Type swear words, make sarcastic
jokes e.t.c, but don't overdo it by treating some newbies like they're some kind of retards.

As for the problem, I agree that there must be a solution with the meaningless threads.
But this is something that you have to discuss with the admin & mods. For example suggest a function in the "post new thread"
button, while pressing it a pop-up warning message will appear. That way, the newbies will be more cautious.

People are stupid, or at the very least they're ignorant to many things. It's hard to expect them to be otherwise. There is no course or guidebook that enlightens people on how to learn, grow and enrich themselves. There's certainly no guide that tells you how to adapt to a new culture, and even if there is, the people who really need it are the ones who don't care enough to read it. What is bizarre about it is that people at least expect some difficulty when they travel to a different location in real life, but when they join a new site on the Internet, they waltz right in expecting to be welcomed with open arms by a diverse community of people that they know nothing about. Some of them even flaunt the fact that they don't care what's normal or accepted, demanding respect from other users while giving none in return.

Granted, hate is not the best answer to this mentality. A real-life example would be Americans visiting Paris. They tend to come away from the experience thinking French people are rude, and the idea that they themselves were trampling over the social conventions of Paris never occurs to them. I fear the same kind of things can happen here, but the analogy isn't perfect. For one, people don't always have a language barrier to deal with here, so when they act ignorant and don't pay attention, it's understandably more frustrating. For another thing, there's the whole GIFT thing, which there were whole threads about in Serious Debates, so I won't get into that.

"I'm always nice with everyone, as long they're nice with me." This is a nice philosophy, at least until someone shows up and doesn't seem to know or care HOW to be nice to you. You can try to be polite still at that point, and I would certainly advocate that, but you have to understand that it won't always work, and most people here do not have the patience to do that day in and day out with every occurrence.

Regarding your solution, it's a nice idea, but I expect a lot of people would still ignore information like that. That's kind of why this is a problem to begin with: a lot of people just don't care enough.

This post has been edited by FourThirteen: Feb 1 2012, 01:53
+Quote Post

post Feb 1 2012, 03:42
Post #59
ektavice

Casual? CASUAL?!
Level 212 (Ascended)

QUOTE(FourThirteen @ Jan 30 2012, 08:00) *
Keep a sense of humor and a cool head.

Reminds me of this:

Attached Image
+Quote Post

post Feb 1 2012, 03:57
Post #60
Honeycat

Extra Hissy
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Robbie Pie @ Jan 31 2012, 00:49) *

It sure is, every gay stereotype.

It sure is.

*jazz hands*
+Quote Post

28 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:07