Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Feature request: Skip ahead in results by days/weeks/months

post Nov 2 2022, 20:13
Post #1
atasitian

Casual Poster
Group: Members
Level 322 (Godslayer)

I don't know if this is technically feasible, but it would be very neat if, in addition to being able to go to the next/previous page of results, you could skip ahead/back by time frame. That is, in addition to the next/previous links in gallery search, there could be links to skip the next day (or seven days, or 30 days, or 365 days) of results.

Implementation: I have no idea how this site works internally, but if there is a cheap way to map timestamps to closest adjacent galleries, this should be relatively simple to add. You'd just (hah!) internally calculate the target date and map it to a GID, then run the search with a GID anchor as usual.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Nov 2 2022, 22:36
Post #2
Tenboro

Admin

Yeah, I'm planning on adding this over the next day or two, seeing as the major gripe most people seem to be having is the inability to jump deep into results, and it should be doable very cheaply with the new engine.
+Quote Post

post Nov 3 2022, 02:49
Post #3
omega necross

Newcomer

please just add pages back
+Quote Post

post Nov 3 2022, 04:46
Post #4

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 17 (Novice)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Nov 2 2022, 22:36) *

Yeah, I'm planning on adding this over the next day or two, seeing as the major gripe most people seem to be having is the inability to jump deep into results, and it should be doable very cheaply with the new engine.

Could this engine give out the ranking of a given GID in a query?
That basically what a page number is.
+Quote Post

post Nov 3 2022, 04:58
Post #5
atasitian

Casual Poster
Level 322 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(omega necross @ Nov 3 2022, 03:49) *
please just add pages back

You have no idea what you're talking about. Please whine elsewhere.
+Quote Post

post Nov 3 2022, 07:46
Post #6
Metalskull89

Lurker
Group: Recruits

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Nov 2 2022, 16:36) *

Hey Tenboro@, i know lot of people don't like this updated, but if you want some improvement like adding a numbers on where you are, adding a sliding bar for Quick changing and adding skip pages like 5, 10, 100, 1000, 10000 to make it easier for the Ux, i just wondering if it is possible with the New engine, because alot people miss the page option and There were alots of problemes with this New updated, i just hope everything is fine in your end and hope you fix everything with your Team.

This post has been edited by Metalskull89: Nov 3 2022, 07:50
+Quote Post

post Nov 3 2022, 08:25
Post #7
jadoeman

Newcomer
Level 203 (Lord)

Another use case I saw mentioned several times was "do search > pick random page > go from there". Which feels like it should be (hopefully) straightforward, too - say, get the first matching GID, get the last matching GID, pick a random number between them, and show the listing of results starting at that GID. (Assuming I understand it correctly, and the "start at this GID" URL doesn't actually require that GID to be included in the results set.)

Might not be perfectly random if the distribution of that tag/search isn't uniform or if the counts are too low... but the impression I get is that people using this pick searches with thousands of pages anyway, and whatever results this would give would be significantly more random than whatever they did before (ie "oh, a thousand pages, let's go to lucky page 777").

These - and others - are all individual use cases of a more general pattern, though. People want to be able to not only search for their results, but also jump deep into those results. The former is handled very, very thoroughly via searching, filtering, etc. The latter used to be handled by page numbers, but has no user-friendly replacement now. URL editing with GIDs exists, yeah, but that's not a user-friendly or permanent solution to expect the average user to do.

...Honestly, the page numbers were never that good of a way to do it anyway. As has been noted, they shift around as time goes on, or tags change, or whatever. But they are phenomenally simple and intuitive. Everyone intrinsically understands them, and they work quickly and easily. Thus people don't mind clicking around a bit to (say) locate October 2014 or whatever.

So maybe the solution is to add the ability to "jump to" a region of results, based on some (limited) criteria. Like the jump to page feature of before, but instead of by page, it provides other options.

* Jump forward/backward N minutes/hours/days/etc. Or to a specific date/time, ie YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS or whatever. One's just a derivative of the other after all; only difference is in convenience.

* Jump forward/backward N results (assuming this doesn't end up creating the same server load as before).

* Jump forward/backward to the next favorite (any color, or a specific color) - lets favorites be used as bookmarks of sorts. Like some people mentioned, this is the kind of site people explicitly try to not have browser bookmarks for, so while a browser bookmark would work good, it's not for everyone.

* Jump to specific GID. (Maybe adding a "click to copy this gallery's GID" on gallery pages? Might be easier on mobile users.)

* Random, as mentioned above.

All of those basically boil down to "pick a GID that satisfies some requirements, and then load the search starting at that GID". And while none of them deliver the exact same functionality as page numbers, those kinds of things provide solutions to the same problems that page numbers were being used to solve to begin with.
+Quote Post

post Nov 3 2022, 09:09
Post #8
CWY233

Newcomer
Level 351 (Dovahkiin)

QUOTE(atasitian @ Nov 3 2022, 04:58) *

You have no idea what you're talking about. Please whine elsewhere.

The truth is, a lot of people hate this "update"... Can you see how many people complaining in that update? They hope to rollback the page selector. Or there's a easy way for people to use the search
"MORE EASILY". Shouldn't that be the first important rule for a website?

This post has been edited by CWY233: Nov 3 2022, 09:29
+Quote Post

post Nov 3 2022, 15:46
Post #9
jadoeman

Newcomer
Level 203 (Lord)

QUOTE(CWY233 @ Nov 3 2022, 03:09) *

The truth is, a lot of people hate this "update"... Can you see how many people complaining in that update? They hope to rollback the page selector. Or there's a easy way for people to use the search
"MORE EASILY". Shouldn't that be the first important rule for a website?

There are a dozen other threads on the topic of page numbers, including the one in the news board. If you have concerns, voice them there. This thread is not about that.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:16