Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> New Feature: Country selector for choosing which H@H network country/region to use for image loads

post Feb 27 2021, 13:29
Post #1
Tenboro

Admin

As part of the rollout of a new geolocation system, a new option has been added to the settings page that lets you override the country used to determine which part of the H@H network to load images from.

Obviously, this allows you to correct the country if it is wrong, but it also allows for certain advanced behavior, like if you are browsing the site itself through a VPN or proxy in a different country, but still want to make use of H@H clients in your own country/region.

There aren't any particular limitations on the use of this feature, but you generally want to avoid selecting the wrong country unless you have a good reason for it, like if you're having issues with government censorship or connectivity in general.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 13:59
Post #2
Z.G.

I'm the sukebei, for I am holding all hentai in my hands
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 271 (Ascended)

There aren't any particular limitations on the use of this feature, but you generally want to avoid selecting the wrong country unless you have a good reason for it, like if you're having issues with government censorship or connectivity in general.

For people having a good connection (fibre) would you recommend some country to help "big" server having less people? Like going on less used server, given fibre is really good even a worst server (like € using Aussie server) is acceptable.

This post has been edited by Z.G.: Feb 27 2021, 13:59
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 14:25
Post #3
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(Z.G. @ Feb 27 2021, 12:59) *

For people having a good connection (fibre) would you recommend some country to help "big" server having less people? Like going on less used server, given fibre is really good even a worst server (like € using Aussie server) is acceptable.

Fiber mostly affects the first-hop delay which would be the same no matter what client you hit.

The only general situation I can think of where you might get better performance selecting the "wrong" country is if your particular country has better connectivity to some country with lots of clients than it has with the rest of your geographic region. Say if you're in an inland "Asian" nation close to Europe like say Israel, and you have better connectivity to Europe than to the Asian countries closer to the Pacific ocean where most of the clients in the region are located, it might make sense to pick a European country with lots of clients, like the Netherlands or Germany.
+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 15:54
Post #4
moonflow

Active Poster
Level 500 (Dovahkiin)

Interesting feature. Fortunately, I live in a country which doesn't need to be changed, I believe.

Thanks for your hard work, Tenboro!
+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 17:52
Post #5
Nezu

Rat
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

Oh, that's interesting. There are certainly not H@H nodes with full site coverage in every single country in that list; what happens if there's a cache miss within the selected country? Or are countries just a point from which the search algorithm tries to find the geographically closest available node?
+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 18:38
Post #6
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(Nezu @ Feb 27 2021, 16:52) *
Oh, that's interesting. There are certainly not H@H nodes with full site coverage in every single country in that list; what happens if there's a cache miss within the selected country? Or are countries just a point from which the search algorithm tries to find the geographically closest available node?

Same as if you browse from that country normally, it goes down the priority list of same-country H@H -> same-region H@H -> other-region H@H -> L2 image server -> L1 image server.
+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 19:11
Post #7
Spamfeind

Newcomer
Group: Members
Level 316 (Godslayer)

It's always nice to see the site evolving with useful features. 👍
Not so long ago we all had to be afraid that the site would be closed.
Should it ever come to that, I wish that someone could take over the site with your permission.
+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 21:53
Post #8
anything will do

Lurker
Group: Lurkers
Level 11 (Novice)

I have been unable to access torrents for the last couple days, I suspect it has something to do with this feature since as it appears to have been expected. I am getting a "your connection is not private" ever since

2021-02-24

- The new geolocation system has been deployed to some servers, notably the repo service. Let me know if you encounter any issues with bounties or torrents as part of this.

+Quote Post

post Feb 27 2021, 23:02
Post #9
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(anything will do @ Feb 27 2021, 20:53) *

I have been unable to access torrents for the last couple days, I suspect it has something to do with this feature since as it appears to have been expected. I am getting a "your connection is not private" ever since

Sounds like a certificate mismatch issue, which probably means your ISP or whomever is poisoning your DNS. Can't really say anything more without a detailed error message, but try switching to another DNS server.
+Quote Post

post Feb 28 2021, 00:42
Post #10
anything will do

Lurker
Level 11 (Novice)

Thanks a lot. I changed my DNS to google's and that fixed it. interesting, for me it was just occurring at the torrents from this site, some other sites I use like nyaa were still working as always

the error was indeed NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

thanks again for the quick respond and advice
+Quote Post

post Mar 1 2021, 07:55
Post #11
FullestDay

Casual Poster
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

I don't know what that geolocation change did for me, but my H@H client got noticably more stable w/r/t trust and quality. It's now a stable 1000/10000, which it hadn't been for a while.
+Quote Post

post May 29 2021, 16:23
Post #12
nozomimimi

Lurker

For a region that needs a VPN to connect to ehentai, is this change helpful?
+Quote Post

post May 29 2021, 16:25
Post #13
nasu

さき★すかん
Level 412 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(nozomimimi @ May 29 2021, 15:23) *

It will use the location closest to your VPN server by default, so changing it to anything else will likely increase load times. Best to leave it as default unless you run into trouble.
+Quote Post

post May 29 2021, 21:24
Post #14
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(nozomimimi @ May 29 2021, 16:23) *

Only if you use a split tunneling VPN. (That is, requests to EH go through the VPN but image requests do not.)
+Quote Post

post Jul 20 2021, 09:40
Post #15
mozilla browser

Nutscrape Navigator
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Feb 28 2021, 00:38) *

Same as if you browse from that country normally, it goes down the priority list of same-country H@H -> same-region H@H -> other-region H@H -> L2 image server -> L1 image server.

Due to saturation of Internet links between China and the rest of the world, it is likely not useful for rest_of_world (even if geographically near China) to use a h@h client in China and vice versa. Is it possible to put China in a region by itself?
+Quote Post

post Jul 20 2021, 12:01
Post #16
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(mozilla browser @ Jul 20 2021, 09:40) *

Due to saturation of Internet links between China and the rest of the world, it is likely not useful for rest_of_world (even if geographically near China) to use a h@h client in China and vice versa. Is it possible to put China in a region by itself?

The rest of the world won't route requests to Asia clients in general, but yeah, I do have concrete plans to split up the regions to enable more fine-grained routing decisions. In this, China + Hong Kong would probably be its own separate region split from the rest of Pacific Asia. (I'm assuming HK is on the wrong side of the GFW at this point, or at least will be by the time I get around to do this.)
+Quote Post

post Sep 2 2021, 10:11
Post #17
Me1_base_honor

Casual Poster
Level 377 (Dovahkiin)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Jul 20 2021, 18:01) *

The rest of the world won't route requests to Asia clients in general, but yeah, I do have concrete plans to split up the regions to enable more fine-grained routing decisions. In this, China + Hong Kong would probably be its own separate region split from the rest of Pacific Asia. (I'm assuming HK is on the wrong side of the GFW at this point or at least will be by the time I get around to do this.)

AFAIK, there is no "direct link" between the network between HK and China, all traffic comes from HK to China pass the same gateway as other international traffics. The connection between HK to China is extremely slow due to the congestion of the network (everyone wants to access foreign websites).
On the other hand, HK has several submarine cables directly connect to east Asia countries such as Japan, Korea and the Philippines without the need to route through China

[www.speedtest.net] https://www.speedtest.net/result/11973137292 my HK home connection to Japan is decent as you can see.
[www.speedtest.net] https://www.speedtest.net/result/11973144074 my HK home connection to Guangzhou is even slower than that to Japan
Thus if at that time HK hasn't been a part of GFW, More traffic to East Asia Countries should be assigned.
+Quote Post

post Sep 2 2021, 10:23
Post #18
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(Me1_base_honor @ Sep 2 2021, 10:11) *

AFAIK, there is no "direct link" between the network between HK and China, all traffic comes from HK to China pass the same gateway as other international traffics. The connection between HK to China is extremely slow due to the congestion of the network (everyone wants to access foreign websites).
On the other hand, HK has several submarine cables directly connect to east Asia countries such as Japan, Korea and the Philippines without the need to route through China

I see. Well, it probably won't happen for a while, so I'll solicit feedback at that time whether HK (or any other country) would be better off routing-wise assigned to the Chinese Dominion (name tentative) region or not.
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:35