> Help with scanning doujinshi

post Jul 14 2013, 03:11
Post #21
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Group: Members
Level 199 (Lord)

QUOTE(qazmlpok @ Jul 13 2013, 17:16) *

I don't know anyone that could act as a decicated editor, and redrawing the pages to get rid of the glue is definitely beyond me if it isn't a solid color.

Would you recommend just not leveling the color pages at all?

If you manage to round of some bounty credits you can get some editor help, but it's not that big not that a big of a deal as those tear marks. Anyway, leveling color pages is an optional thing unless the color looks dull or faded. With this one it doesn't looks like it'd matter much. If someone ever tran/edits this they'll most likely make that call.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Jul 15 2013, 04:28
Post #22
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

(例大祭8) [芦間山道] みんなのユカリス
[www.mediafire.com] http://www.mediafire.com/download/eb8v9a06rw1h8hw

Attempt at doing a new doujin. I know the cover/back is horrible, and since I already took it apart I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do to fix it. But did the rest turn out okay? This is cropped, leveled, resized, cleaned. There were a few places I couldn't clean at all, and I'm sure I left noticeable artifacts in a few areas, but for the most part it should be okay.

As always, comments are appreciated.
+Quote Post

post Jul 15 2013, 05:07
Post #23
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 199 (Lord)

Looks fine to me. That silhouette page is an easy fix.
+Quote Post

post Jul 16 2013, 03:19
Post #24
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

(C81) [甘味人形] 八雲式勧誘方
[www.mediafire.com] http://www.mediafire.com/download/5u83v1ckuyh38mo

(C81) [芦間山道] ゆかりックス
[www.mediafire.com] http://www.mediafire.com/download/iyc8xz6o50x33sq

Two more. The second one had several greyscale images, which I leveled with different values from all the other pages. I used:

IMG_0001: 70 black
IMG_0018: 50 black
IMG_0019: 90 black

At least one doujin in my pile appears to be entirely greyscale as well. Is it typical to not level multiple greyscale images to the same values? I'm trying to automate as much of this as possible, and not being able to use the same values across every page would really slow me down.

As usual, comments appreciated.
+Quote Post

post Jul 16 2013, 08:49
Post #25
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 199 (Lord)

Wait, you mean using the same levels for each doujin? Nevermind. It looks like you're making the black parts black, right? I dealt with something similar to this today. Try automating the levels for the whole book and adjust the levels for any pages that are off. It's similar to what I went through with something today. And I think the rotation is a little off on them.
+Quote Post

post Jul 16 2013, 12:22
Post #26
LittleWhiteButterflies

Casual Poster
Level 41 (Artisan)

QUOTE(Super Shanko @ Jul 16 2013, 08:49) *

Wait, you mean using the same levels for each doujin? Nevermind. It looks like you're making the black parts black, right? I dealt with something similar to this today. Try automating the levels for the whole book and adjust the levels for any pages that are off. It's similar to what I went through with something today. And I think the rotation is a little off on them.

If you turn off all the auto-magical parts of the scanner, the levelling is just correcting for the black and white perception of the scanner sensor. Which will be the same for all pages.

Once you find the right levelling settings, you can absolutely just run that for every page you do.
+Quote Post

post Jul 16 2013, 14:55
Post #27
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

QUOTE(Super Shanko @ Jul 16 2013, 08:49) *

Ideally, use the exact same values on every single (b&w) page that I scan. I'm using imagemagick to crop, level, and resize the pages all at once. For the most part using the same values works out fine, but for those particular greyscale pages they came out too dark.

The last doujin I did took something like 20 minutes to debind, 10 minutes to scan, and an hour to clean after processing it with imagemagick. Given that the editing is the real bottleneck, I want to spend as little time on it as possible while still doing a decent job. I don't even want to think about how long it's going to take me to edit through any of the 100+ page doujins I have, and I have several of those.
+Quote Post

post Jul 16 2013, 22:56
Post #28
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 199 (Lord)

Well, you mentioned you use imagemagick, have you tried using Photoshop? I don't know about GIMP, but with PS you can automate it. Like I use one page for the initial recording, and use that recording to process the same steps for the next 100+ pages automatically while I sit back. It's actually alot easier than i'm making it sound, but i've never looked back after learning it.

You can get a CS6 trial from the site.
+Quote Post

post Jul 16 2013, 23:45
Post #29
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

QUOTE(Super Shanko @ Jul 16 2013, 22:56) *

Well, you mentioned you use imagemagick, have you tried using Photoshop? I don't know about GIMP, but with PS you can automate it. Like I use one page for the initial recording, and use that recording to process the same steps for the next 100+ pages automatically while I sit back. It's actually alot easier than i'm making it sound, but i've never looked back after learning it.

You can get a CS6 trial from the site.

That sounds like it'd basically be macros. I don't think that'd be useful, since it sounds like it'd only be useful for really simple errors that exist on all pages (e.g. I had a hair stuck in the scanner bed while scanning, so every single page got a small hair on the left side). The problem is that the real time consuming stuff comes in when there's complicated patterns on the page, and I can't see a simple macro ever working well in that situation.
+Quote Post

post Jul 17 2013, 01:41
Post #30
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 199 (Lord)

No, I meant after the pages have been scanned and saved, you can have PS automatically do the levels and resizing the images instead of doing it for each and every page individually, like inthis tutorial.
+Quote Post

post Jul 17 2013, 01:56
Post #31
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

Oh.

I'm already doing that with imagemagick.
+Quote Post

post Jul 23 2013, 07:25
Post #32
Negative Man

pack it up.
Level 81 (Hero)

I'm doing fine with B/W, but color turns out quite bad, for example, in my sig, the shadows don't look quite solid, I'm using Photoshop with all the blurs and unsharp masks and whatever, here's the original scan for reference:
Attached File  IMG2.bmp ( 2.95mb ) Number of downloads: 56
+Quote Post

post Aug 10 2013, 06:10
Post #33
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

I think I'm about halfway done now. I've updated the second post to include links to everything that I've finished. Fortunately I did manage to find a skilled editor to handle that, so in addition to making my job easier, he's also able to produce much better final images.

As always, if a translator is interested in any of these, I can provide the original, unedited scans. Most of them also have the editor's extremely high res WIP images that I believe have all of his fixes without the downscaling. I might end up re-doing some of the older ones, now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Those will be lower priority, of course.

Finally, someone on an IRC channel I visit had mentioned that they'll be in China for some time closer to the end of August. So it's possible I'll get an additional pile of C84 (and other) books as well. No guarantees or anything, but we'll see how that plays out.

Especially if I do get another pile of doujins, additional volunteer editors would be appreciated, so long as you're confident that you can handle the rotation, crop, leveling, etc of the 600 DPI scans I'm doing.
+Quote Post

post Oct 10 2013, 17:10
Post #34
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

Bumping this because I just got a new shipment of touhou doujinshi.

Pics:

NSFW:
[i.imgur.com] http://i.imgur.com/D6FyQEr.jpg
[i.imgur.com] http://i.imgur.com/UQf7rDs.jpg

Worksafe:
[i.imgur.com] http://i.imgur.com/IHFW7cn.jpg

Pastebin of titles and shoplinks:
[pastebin.com] http://pastebin.com/2mKHcfVu

Let me know if anyone is interested in translating any of these so I can prioritize scanning them. One of them, "(C82) [110-GROOVE] 真夏のレティさん", is already scanned and translated, but with low quality raws, so hopefully the translation can be applied to my updated raws once those are ready.

As before, I am able to scan stuff MUCH faster than it can be edited. I still have 15 books from my previous batch that are fully scanned but not yet edited. Any volunteers for editing the untouched raws would be greatly appreciated, and will allow me to get through this batch much quicker.
+Quote Post

post Oct 10 2013, 23:57
Post #35
Negative Man

pack it up.
Level 81 (Hero)

QUOTE(qazmlpok @ Oct 10 2013, 10:10) *

Bumping this because I just got a new shipment of touhou doujinshi.

Pics:

NSFW:
[i.imgur.com] http://i.imgur.com/D6FyQEr.jpg
[i.imgur.com] http://i.imgur.com/UQf7rDs.jpg

Worksafe:
[i.imgur.com] http://i.imgur.com/IHFW7cn.jpg

Pastebin of titles and shoplinks:
[pastebin.com] http://pastebin.com/2mKHcfVu
Let me know if anyone is interested in translating any of these so I can prioritize scanning them. One of them, "(C82) [110-GROOVE] 真夏のレティさん", is already scanned and translated, but with low quality raws, so hopefully the translation can be applied to my updated raws once those are ready.

As before, I am able to scan stuff MUCH faster than it can be edited. I still have 15 books from my previous batch that are fully scanned but not yet edited. Any volunteers for editing the untouched raws would be greatly appreciated, and will allow me to get through this batch much quicker.

Count me in for the Flower Heaven one, bro.
+Quote Post

post Oct 11 2013, 00:46
Post #36
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

QUOTE(Negative Man @ Oct 10 2013, 23:57) *

Count me in for the Flower Heaven one, bro.

Alright, great. I'll scan it tomorrow and post the images here, unless you prefer PMs.

I have two by the circle; the other one is titled からーどゆうかりん. Did you just want Flower Heaven?
+Quote Post

post Oct 11 2013, 01:21
Post #37
Negative Man

pack it up.
Level 81 (Hero)

QUOTE(qazmlpok @ Oct 10 2013, 17:46) *

Alright, great. I'll scan it tomorrow and post the images here, unless you prefer PMs.

I have two by the circle; the other one is titled からーどゆうかりん. Did you just want Flower Heaven?

Just Flower Heaven, for now.
Edit: thanks!

This post has been edited by Negative Man: Oct 11 2013, 01:21
+Quote Post

post Oct 12 2013, 02:04
Post #38
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

[mega.co.nz] https://mega.co.nz/#!EQ0ESBKA!F-DiX...Kp6IMGHsu40XBE4 (654 meg)

Finally finished scanning Flower Heaven. It was unfortunately a staple-bound doujin. The first problem with this was that taking out the staples slightly damaged the art. I think most of it was on the cover, which I scanned before hand, but there's some in the center pages as well.

The bigger issue is that it meant that all of the pages were doubles, with 4 doujin pages per sheet of paper. For this, I scanned the folded pages normally, then straighten the sheets out and scanned half of it at a time. It's fairly messy, but I haven't had good experiences with folding these kind of pages, and I am not good at all with cutting. I figured it'd probably give better results, especially considering that all of the pages are full of color art, with no plain border or anything.

Let me know if I should rescan any page(s) again, possibly in a different way.
+Quote Post

post Oct 12 2013, 03:00
Post #39
Negative Man

pack it up.
Level 81 (Hero)

QUOTE(qazmlpok @ Oct 11 2013, 19:04) *

[mega.co.nz] https://mega.co.nz/#!EQ0ESBKA!F-DiX...Kp6IMGHsu40XBE4 (654 meg)

Finally finished scanning Flower Heaven. It was unfortunately a staple-bound doujin. The first problem with this was that taking out the staples slightly damaged the art. I think most of it was on the cover, which I scanned before hand, but there's some in the center pages as well.

The bigger issue is that it meant that all of the pages were doubles, with 4 doujin pages per sheet of paper. For this, I scanned the folded pages normally, then straighten the sheets out and scanned half of it at a time. It's fairly messy, but I haven't had good experiences with folding these kind of pages, and I am not good at all with cutting. I figured it'd probably give better results, especially considering that all of the pages are full of color art, with no plain border or anything.

Let me know if I should rescan any page(s) again, possibly in a different way.

Looks pretty good, only some minor aligning/cropping/resizing and it'll be good to go.
edit: check yo pms.

This post has been edited by Negative Man: Oct 12 2013, 08:30
+Quote Post

post Jan 10 2014, 05:27
Post #40
qazmlpok

Casual Poster
Level 171 (Lord)

Bumping this again. I will be placing another order in the near future, primarily for C85 touhou works. It looks like I'll be getting at least another 40 books to scan.

I've recently started running hentai@home on my old computer, and it's slowly giving me hath. Which means I could post editing bounties for the unprocessed raws.

If I did this, would people be interested in accepting the bounties? And how much hath would I need to offer? I know it'd vary based on the length of the book, but I'd like a baseline to go on. Say, a 32p greyscale doujin with minimal glue and no pages to join. What would be a good offer for something like that?
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 13:00