Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Introducing the Hentai@Home Project, If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

post Apr 1 2008, 12:50
Post #1
Tenboro

Admin

Update: For everyone who thought that this was an April Fools prank; April Fools! Hentai@Home is real. (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

We're proud to present the fruits of the last month of labor: The Hentai@Home Network. The network has been in a closed Alpha test for the past couple of weeks, and we're now finally ready to unveil it to the public.

What is Hentai@Home?

The one-liner? SETI@Home meets BitTorrent. All participating members will run a small client written in Java, that downloads files from the main server and passes them on to people who browse E-Hentai.org and E-Hentai Galleries. This will allow us to serve many more files with much smaller centralized need for bandwidth.

What benefits do I get from running Hentai@Home?

Basically you'll get 0.1 GP for each hit on your server, as well as be able to fight for a toplist position. You will also earn Hath, used to purchase Hath Perks.

What do I need to run Hentai@Home?

- Any OS
- [java.sun.com] Java SE 6
- At least 20 KB/s (256 Kbps) of outgoing bandwidth, and the ability to push at least 25 MB/hour
- At least 1 GB free disk space
- Your computer must either have a public IP address, or you must be able to forward a port from your router to your local PC.

Java SE 6?

Java is a Virtual Machine that allows Hentai@Home to run on all operating systems the VM is made available for. From [java.sun.com] Sun's Java website, you can download either the "JDK 6 Update 5" at the top of the page or the "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5" further down. The top one is the largest, and will allow you to make your own Java programs, while the other will only allow you to run them.

Note that it's possible you already have Java installed, especially if you're running other Java programs like Azureus. To determine this, open a terminal/command prompt* and type "java -version". If it's not found, or shows a version less than 1.6.0, you will have to install the new one.

How do I decide which port to run it on?

Generally, any port is fine. To avoid clashes with other applications, you may want to select one between 1024 and 65535.

You may need to make an exception in your firewall, if any, for the port you decide to open. This includes any firewalls built into whatever box you use to connect to the Internet, and local firewalls on your computer. If you do not have any control over the firewall between the Internet and your computer, you may not be able to run H@H.

The port you have selected may also have to be forwarded to your local computer; see below.

How can I tell if I have a public IP address, and if I haven't, how do I forward a port?

If you use Linux, I assume you know this. If you use Windows, open a command prompt*, then type "ipconfig". If the IP address starts with 10 or 192.168, you have a private IP and will have to forward a port. How you do this depends on your router, but as a rule you have to point your browser to the "default gateway" listed by ipconfig and locate the section commonly known as "Port Forwarding" or "Virtual Servers". After locating this, create a forwarding for a TCP port of your liking to the IP address ipconfig reported.

If you cannot figure out how to forward a port, look at the guides available from [portforward.com] PortForward.com, select your router from their list of setup guides, and select "Default Guide" (you won't find H@H on their list. Also, H@H doesn't have a default port, so you can use any port you want). If they don't have your specific brand of router, look in the manual for your router, try googling for "(your brand and make) port forwarding" or, if you are leasing it from an ISP, ask them.

Note that there is no possible way to run Hentai@Home unless you have a public IP address or the ability to forward a port it can listen to.

How do I determine how fast my outgoing bandwidth is?

You can use any of a number of bandwidth measuring sites out there. I recommend [speedtest.net] SpeedTest.net, only because they have a number of test servers around the world, making it easier to get an accurate estimate.

Please note the difference between KB/s or KBps, and Kb/s or Kbps. The first two with an upper-case B measure kilobytes per second, while the last two with a lower-case b measure kilobits per second. 1 kilobyte = 8 kilobits. SpeedTest.net gives the speed in kilobits per second, while H@H uses kilobytes per second as the base unit. Make sure to use the correct one, or your throttle could be set to 8 times more or 1/8th the speed you desire.

Also, note that if you use SpeedTest.net, the second number (next to the upward-pointing arrow) is the relevant one. Your download speed is not a limiting factor with H@H.

Sold! How do I participate in the open beta?

Send me a PM, including the following information:

- the port you want the client to run on
- the maximum bandwidth the client can use at any time (burst). Note that this is your OUTGOING bandwidth, not the rate you can download at.
- a limit on how many MB it can send every hour, if any (specify time unit if not per hour)
- how much disk space it can use (min 1 GB)

PMs asking for an ident, but that don't include this info, will be ignored.

* (Start -> Accessories -> Command Prompt)

NOTE: Due to my usually excessive work load, it can take up to two-three days before I get around to creating your client. Please don't sent multiple PMs unless it's been more than three days.

Common Problems

Aka, FAQ.

The client complains that it's not reachable from the Internet.

Make sure that the port you selected is not firewalled, and that it's forwarded to your computer if you are behind a NAT router.

The client hardly uses any of the bandwidth I gave it.

Ideally, the average bandwidth (the pink line on the graph) should be around 75% of the available burst bandwidth. If your client were saturated, it would cause slow speeds for people who were trying to browse the site: this is obviously not acceptable.

Note that while your client is new, it may not have enough files in the cache to fill the allocated bandwidth. You can help it along by copying files you have downloaded from E-Hentai.org or EHG to the "import" directory, and restarting the client. It will then process those files and import them to the cache. Note that this is not necessary, as your client will likely have enough files within a few days.

Finally, the system constantly probes your client for what speed it is actually capable of. This system attempts to correct for latency by performing a ping test prior to the test, but this could fail if your firewall blocks pings. That could make the speed of your client appear to be lower than it actually is.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Apr 1 2008, 15:10
Post #2
Goldburgstien

Caged Konata Lover. (*≧д≦)o (≧∀≦)ノ
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 50 (Expert)

One question about this is the "Java SE 6"

On the download page you linked to I see "Java SE 6 Documentation" or "Java SE 6 JDK Source Code".

I'm guessing I get the Source Code? This might just be me being thick.
+Quote Post

post Apr 1 2008, 15:13
Post #3
Tenboro

Admin

Well, you can pick between the "JDK 6 Update 5" at the top of the page or the "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5" further down. The top one will allow you to make your own Java programs, but the other will only allow you to run them.

*updates original post*
+Quote Post

post Apr 1 2008, 15:15
Post #4
Goldburgstien

Level 50 (Expert)

Ah-ha ok. I was just looking for "6" and "SE". Well I'll download the second one now, seeing as I only want to run a program ^^.
+Quote Post

post Apr 1 2008, 15:31
Post #5
Silveras

Newcomer
Level 310 (Godslayer)

Sounds interesting... but does this mean the Ehtracker isn't coming back? Or will this be a side project in addition to the tracker? Just curious (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
And, as always, thanks for your hard work keeping this site interesting!
+Quote Post

post Apr 1 2008, 15:45
Post #6
Spectre

The Bell Tolls for All.
Group: Global Mods
Level 272 (Godslayer)

H@H is more or less designed to help with the storage and bandwidth needs of the Galleries here, and not intended as a replacement for the EH tracker since that in essence allows for the transfer of different material such as games and video.

At least, thats how I see it.

edit: Also, if you wish to start the non GUI version (in which you just double click that version) go to the terminal or command prompt, locate your H@H folder (mines on C:\ for easy command prompt access) and then type "java - jar HentaiAtHome.jar", Just double clicking it will start the program I think, but you won't be able to see what it is doing since there is no output window of its own(the GUI has its own, and non-GUI dumps to terminal).

The GUI version has a lot more bells and whistles though. (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

This post has been edited by Spectre: Apr 1 2008, 15:58
+Quote Post

post Apr 2 2008, 22:53
Post #7
Tenboro

Admin

Note that I changed the "outgoing bandwidth" minimum to 20 KB/s. Basically, there are so few files small enough that they can be served in a timely manner on a slower connection that it's fairly pointless to put very many of them on the network. I'm pretty sure that the ones we have gotten already can handle all of those small requests, and more.
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 01:43
Post #8
MCS117

Newcomer
Group: Members
Level 41 (Journeyman)

Can we take the images in the cache of the H@H? I mean, its laying there and it seems like we can view it ourselves.
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 01:43
Post #9
major_blood

Depressed nobody who has no one to call his own....
Level 55 (Expert)

Since I'm computer impaired like that, what do you actually mean by "pointing your browser to the "default gateway"?
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 01:57
Post #10
Fedelta

Lost sanity a long time ago.

Interesting, however it does beg the question how big of a security hole does it make?
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 01:58
Post #11
MCS117

Newcomer
Level 41 (Journeyman)

What is?
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 02:11
Post #12
Goldburgstien

Level 50 (Expert)

QUOTE(Fedelta @ Apr 3 2008, 00:57) *

Interesting, however it does beg the question how big of a security hole does it make?

None. You forward a port and use it (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) If you torrent it's exactly the same thing (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

And to see your default gateway go on

Start > Run > CMD > Ipconfig

It should be 192.168.0.X
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 02:22
Post #13
Fedelta

Lost sanity a long time ago.

I assume turning off your Pc would just mean one less seeder.
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 02:24
Post #14
Goldburgstien

Level 50 (Expert)

I guess you could look at it that way. You're basically seeding as from what I understand of the whole thing, any way.
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 05:31
Post #15
eternal_darkness

Casual Poster
Level 86 (Hero)

Oh, how are the ' toplists' for this generated? Is it determined by # of hits?
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 06:36
Post #16
vlad

Regular Poster
Level 20 (Apprentice)

Interesting. Is there any possibility of opening up the source code? 'cause, you know, I will most definitely not be running completely unknown binaries with access to the 'net.

Also, this prompts some privacy concerns. How are H@H users prevented from building their private database of anything and everything pertaining to certain IP's? If clients connect directly to the H@H seeds, detailed tracking of each and every EHT user's hentai browsing habits would be extremely easy.

QUOTE(Paddette @ Apr 3 2008, 01:11) *

None. You forward a port and use it (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) If you torrent it's exactly the same thing (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

And to see your default gateway go on

Start > Run > CMD > Ipconfig

It should be 192.168.0.X
"None?" That's assuming that the H@H client is flawlessly written, which it obviously isn't since that is impossible.
Even though being written in Java mitigates some of the more common security problems, running it as an administrator (as every single Windows user here will be doing,) or even as your day-to-day user, would be extremely stupid. Basically, you should never run any network services unless you're damn sure what you're doing.

Of course, running uTorrent or similar closed BitTorrent clients is equally stupid, though at least those have been tested by a large amount of people.
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 07:04
Post #17
Supersonic

Internet Legend
Level 24 (Apprentice)

QUOTE(vlad @ Apr 2 2008, 21:36) *

Interesting. Is there any possibility of opening up the source code? 'cause, you know, I will most definitely not be running completely unknown binaries with access to the 'net.

Java bytecode barely qualifies as binary. Considering its very nature requires it to be run in a VM, what security problems could possibly arise?

Also, this prompts some privacy concerns. How are H@H users prevented from building their private database of anything and everything pertaining to certain IP's? If clients connect directly to the H@H seeds, detailed tracking of each and every EHT user's hentai browsing habits would be extremely easy.

Paranoid privacy nutjobs can disable connecting to H@H servers. The rest of us don't care who knows our taste in hentai.

"None?" That's assuming that the H@H client is flawlessly written, which it obviously isn't since that is impossible.
Even though being written in Java mitigates some of the more common security problems, running it as an administrator (as every single Windows user here will be doing,) or even as your day-to-day user, would be extremely stupid. Basically, you should never run any network services unless you're damn sure what you're doing.

There's no reason this server needs to be run as an administrator. (In fact I'm running it as a limited user right now.)

Of course, running uTorrent or similar closed BitTorrent clients is equally stupid, though at least those have been tested by a large amount of people.

Even in open source programs, you have no guarantee the supplied binaries correspond precisely to the supplied source code. Nor do you have any guarantee the source code isn't malicious unless you fully understand what it's doing. Sometimes exploits are left in open-source programs that no one picks up until years later.
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 07:07
Post #18
Honeycat

Extra Hissy
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 500 (Godslayer)

Your sig's broken.
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 08:22
Post #19
Spectre

The Bell Tolls for All.
Group: Global Mods
Level 272 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Supersonic @ Apr 3 2008, 01:04) *
There's no reason this server needs to be run as an administrator. (In fact I'm running it as a limited user right now.)

I made an entry level account long ago on my old WinXP Pro desktop to run server apps that don't require administrator access. So yeah, I'm not admin'ing it on that computer right now. (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

also, I'm not sure if the cookie monster in your sig is on purpose or not. I hope it is because its kinda funny. (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

post Apr 3 2008, 11:04
Post #20
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(vlad @ Apr 3 2008, 06:36) *

I am considering releasing the source under the GPL, but I haven't made any firm decisions either way. It's something I'll get back to when we're out of beta. The drawback to releasing the source is that it would make it easier for people to figure out ways to sabotage the network, with the obviously advantage that there are more people that could vet the code and help improve it. That said, Java bytecode is notoriously easy to reverse-engineer, so if you wanted something readable that could be altered and recompiled you wouldn't really need my help.

They're not. That's why there's an option to disable H@H if, among the reasons I listed, you're particularly concerned about your privacy. But it's the same with BitTorrent, your IP address will always be irrevocably tied to the piece you are uploading or downloading, there's no way around it.

I do recommend that people run it as a non-privileged user for that exact reason. For Linux, I'd advise people to create a hentaiathome user and sudo as that, running off a high port. Windows is a little harder to secure, but doing the same and using Run As is probably wise.

As for security mitigations, the server cannot tell the client to do anything that could be considered dangerous, for that exact reason. Which isn't saying that there couldn't be anything wrong with stuff like the cache manager or the importer, but as long as people don't do stupid stuff like create a symlink from there to / (off the top of my head, not tested) you should be ok. Of course, nothing would have stopped me to build in a back door in the client, so that would be a question of trust. (I haven't, of course.)

The program hasn't been online long enough to be tested by a large amount of people. Though there's 12 people running it right now. (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:55