Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> The Hentai@Home Project

post Jun 28 2009, 18:36
Post #1
Tenboro

Admin

What do I need to run Hentai@Home?

- Any OS with a proper Java VM. Most versions of Windows, Linux, Mac OS and other Unix flavors should work.

- The [java.sun.com] Java SE 6 JRE, or optionally the JDK if you also wish to create your own Java applications. JRE7 and OpenJDK 6/7 should work fine as well.

- At least 1.00 Mb/s = 125 KB/s of both outgoing and incoming bandwidth - usually advertised as a 1024 Kbps or higher connection both ways - of which at least 50 KB/s must be dedicated to H@H.

- In case of bandwidth limitations placed by your ISP, the ability to push at least 100 MB/hour (72 GB/month).

- At least 2 GB disk space to set aside for H@H.

- A public IPv4 address, or the ability to forward a port from your Internet router to your local PC. Most home connections can do this, but there is NO WAY to operate H@H if you don't have either. If you are behind a NAT router/firewall (most home connections are), you have to forward either port 80 or any port between 1024-65535 to your local computer.

- The server or computer running H@H should generally be running 24/7. Restarts and occasional longer shutdowns are acceptable, but running H@H on a computer that's shut down every night is not possible.

You cannot sign up for a client unless your connection can sustain at least 1.00 Mb/s = 125 KB/s of outgoing traffic. Don't PM asking for exceptions.

How do I participate in the Hentai@Home Project?

Use this sign-up form.

If you need additional clients or want to run H@H on servers that cannot use SpeedTest, send me a PM. Make sure to include the following information:

- The maximum burst bandwidth the client can use at any time. Note that this will be limited by your OUTGOING bandwidth, not the rate you can download at. (Min 50 KB/s)

- How much disk space it can use for the image cache. (Min 2 GB)

- (optional) A limit on how many MB it can send every hour. This is only necessary if your ISP has a monthly bandwidth cap. (Min 100 MB/hour)

Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but make sure to read this post in full first.

What is Hentai@Home?

The soundbite: SETI@Home meets BitTorrent.

All participating members run a small client written in Java, that downloads files from the main server and passes them on to people who browse E-Hentai.org and E-Hentai Galleries. This allows us to serve many more files with much smaller centralized need for bandwidth.

What benefits do I get from running Hentai@Home?

Basically you'll get 0.1 GP for each hit on your server, as well as be able to fight for a toplist position. You will also earn Hath, used to purchase Hath Perks.

Furthermore, you can use the built-in Hentai@Home Proxy as an image proxy.

Finally, running Hentai@Home allows you to use the integrated Hentai@Home Downloader to download galleries.

For more details about these two features, keep reading.

What is the Hentai@Home Proxy?

The Hentai@Home Proxy is a built-in image proxy that handles the downloading of the image and forwards it to your browser for displaying. There are several advantages of using the Proxy. It has automatic retrying of images that fail downloading, as well as automatic image integrity verification. All images you download are stored in Hentai@Home for future use, and images that have already been downloaded by Hentai@Home need not be redownloaded, meaning that they will come up almost instantly. Finally, images previously downloaded by the Hentai@Home Downloader need not be redownloaded, and vice verca.

To set your browser to use the Hentai@Home Proxy, visit http://g.e-hentai.org/uconfig.php and enter the IP address and Port of your client in the Hentai@Home Proxy field.

What is the Hentai@Home Downloader?

The Hentai@Home Downloader will download any gallery from Galleries automatically. To use it, you first need to make sure that Hentai@Home is running. From any Gallery screen on Galleries, hit the "Hentai@Home Downloader" link in the left column and save this file in the "hathdl" directory found under the main Hentai@Home directory. As the gallery is downloaded, it will be saved in the "downloaded" directory. When it's finished a file named "galleryinfo.txt" will be placed in the folder with the most current information for the gallery.

There is currently no GUI elements covering the Downloader, but this will be included in a future release.

Note that images previously downloaded by Hentai@Home and through the Hentai@Home Proxy need not be redownloaded, and vice verca.

Using the H@H Downloader will count towards your normal image limit, but when you reach the limit, it will spend some of the GP you've earned to reset your counter. Note that this only works if you have GP, it won't spend Credits.

Can I use the Hentai@Home Proxy/Downloader without running Hentai@Home?

No.

The H@H Downloader isn't downloading anything!

That's not a question. However, to use the Downloader your client must have been serving files (running and not suspended) for at least one hour. The client must also have a positive trust score, and it has to satisfy the minimum bandwidth requirements. Before these requirements are filled, nothing will be downloaded.

What is Java SE 6?

Java is a Virtual Machine that allows Hentai@Home to run on all operating systems the VM is made available for. From [java.sun.com] Sun's Java website, you can download either the "JDK 6 Update 24" (or newer) at the top of the page or the "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 24" (or newer) further down. The top one is the largest, and will allow you to make your own Java programs, while the other will only allow you to run them.

It's quite possible that you already have Java installed. To determine this, open a terminal/command prompt* and type "java -version". If it's not found, or shows a version less than 1.6.0, you will have to install the new one.

How do I decide which port to run it on?

Generally, any port is fine. To avoid clashes with other applications, you may want to select one between 1024 and 65535.

You may need to make an exception in your firewall, if any, for the port you decide to open. This includes any firewalls built into whatever box you use to connect to the Internet, and local firewalls on your computer. If you do not have any control over the firewall between the Internet and your computer, you may not be able to run H@H.

The port you have selected may also have to be forwarded to your local computer; see below.

How can I tell if I have a public IP address, and if I haven't, how do I forward a port?

If you use Linux, I assume you know this. If you use Windows, open a command prompt*, then type "ipconfig". If the IP address starts with 10. or 192.168. you have a private IP and will have to forward a port. How you do this depends on your router, but as a rule you have to point your browser to the "default gateway" listed by ipconfig and locate the section commonly known as "Port Forwarding" or "Virtual Servers". After locating this, create a forwarding for a TCP port of your liking to the IP address ipconfig reported.

If you cannot figure out how to forward a port, look at the guides available from [portforward.com] PortForward.com, select your router from their list of setup guides, and select "Default Guide" (you won't find H@H on their list. Also, H@H doesn't have a default port, so you can use any port you want). If they don't have your specific brand of router, look in the manual for your router, try googling for "(your brand and make) port forwarding" or, if you are leasing it from an ISP, ask them.

Note that there is no possible way to run Hentai@Home unless you have a public IP address or the ability to forward a port it can listen to.

* (Start -> Accessories -> Command Prompt)

How do I determine how fast my outgoing bandwidth is?

You can use any of a number of bandwidth measuring sites out there. I recommend [speedtest.net] SpeedTest.net, only because they have a number of test servers around the world, making it easier to get an accurate estimate.

Please note the difference between KB/s or KBps, and Kb/s or Kbps. The first two with an upper-case B measure kilobytes per second, while the last two with a lower-case b measure kilobits per second. 1 kilobyte = 8 kilobits. SpeedTest.net gives the speed in kilobits per second, while H@H uses kilobytes per second as the base unit. Make sure to use the correct one, or your throttle could be set to 8 times more or 1/8th the speed you desire.

Also, note that if you use SpeedTest.net, the second number (next to the upward-pointing arrow) is the relevant one. Your download speed is not a limiting factor with H@H.

Should I worry about viruses, backdoors and remote exploits?

Hentai@Home is currently run by several hundred people, and none of them have ever been infected with a virus through Hentai@Home. The simple fact that Hentai@Home is written in Java already stops many remote exploits possible in other programs. It does not include or install any form of adware or spyware, and it does not contain any functionality not described here. So the short answer is no, you are not exposing yourself to more of a risk than you are running any other program.

Hentai@Home is also an Open Source program released under the GPL v3. You can download the source from http://g.e-hentai.org/hentaiathome.php, verify the code, and build your own version if you wish.

Where can I get the actual Hentai@Home Client and updates?

Download them from http://g.e-hentai.org/hentaiathome.php.

You can also modify settings for your client from this page, by clicking the name of the client in question.

What is Trust?

Trust is an overall reliability rating for your client. It's used by the system to weed out misbehaving or malfunctioning clients to minimize image load problems for visitors on our site. Basically, the higher your trust is, the more margin you have until your client is temporarily classified as untrusted (negative trust). If the trust becomes negative, you do not gain any rewards, and the site will not use your client until trust is restored.

Note that as long as your trust is positive (green), it doesn't actually matter for rewards or utilization how high it is. All clients will have occasional blips from time to time, usually caused by particular routing problems between your client and another client that's asked to test it. However a consistently low or negative trust can indicate a problem or overload condition on your connection, or a problem with the client itself.

What happens if my cache fills up? Should I delete it to free up space?

You should not delete files from the cache, doing so will significantly reduce the usage level of your client until it has had time to rebuild. Even with a full cache, the client will keep downloading files and discard the twenty or so [en.wikipedia.org] least recently used cached files every time it hits the disk limit.

Note that while your client is new, it gets preferential treatment by the H@H distributer in order to quickly boost your usage levels to a reasonable level. Old clients will NOT get this preferential treatment if you wipe your cache, it will refill your cache at the normal rate, which particularly for fast clients will take much, much longer.

Common Problems

Also see the Technical Issues section on the wiki.

The client complains that it's not reachable from the Internet.

Make sure that the port you selected is not firewalled, and that it's forwarded to your computer if you are behind a NAT router. You can use [www.yougetsignal.com] this tool to test the forwarding. (Make sure to keep the client running after it halts on the error.)

The client hardly uses any of the bandwidth I gave it.

Ideally, the average bandwidth (the pink line on the graph) should never be higher than 75% of the available burst bandwidth. If your client were saturated, it would cause slow speeds for people who were trying to browse the site: this is obviously not acceptable.

Note that while your client is new, it may not have enough files in the cache to fill the allocated bandwidth. You can help it along by setting it up to run as a proxy.

Finally, the system constantly probes your client for what speed it is actually capable of. This system attempts to correct for latency by performing a ping test prior to the test, but this could fail if your firewall blocks pings. That could make the speed of your client appear to be lower than it actually is.

The client crashes with an SQLException error message when I start it.

Most likely this has been caused by an OS crash or a power failure. To fix it, delete the file "hath.db" and any journal files from Hentai@Home's data directory, and rename "hath.db.bak" to "hath.db".

I'm getting lots of "fail" files when using the downloader, and the proxy is often not working!

In the vast majority of cases, it's because you're running programs like PeerBlock. The usual blocklists are extremely unrefined and coarse-grained, blocking large parts of the internet. In particular, they tend to blacklist large IP ranges belonging to major data centers, where many H@H clients are also hosted. You should never run H@H on a computer that's also running this type of anti-anti-P2P program, as it's essentially guaranteed to interfere with legitimate traffic.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Jul 4 2009, 18:00
Post #2
Tenboro

Admin

For Advanced Users Only

This document contains some advanced guides to how you can get H@H doing stuff you might not realize.

HOWTO: Using the Hentai@Home Proxy through a dedicated server or VPS

By using SSH tunneling, it's possible to use Hentai@Home Proxy securely on a box external to your network, without having to set it as an Open proxy.

Requirements

For Server:

- A recent version of Hentai@Home

- An OS with the OpenSSH server daemon (or compatible) installed. This is bundled with most versions of Linux and FreeBSD.

For Client:

- The OpenSSH client. This is bundled with most versions of Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X, and can be obtained on Windows through installing [www.cygwin.com] Cygwin (run setup.exe and use all default settings).

Setup

This setup assumes that you run Hentai@Home on port 2112, and that the server IP address is 127.17.3.1; you should substitute the actual values as needed. It also assumes that the SSH daemon is running on port 22, but this is almost always true.

You also need to choose a local proxy port for your local computer. This can be whatever, but in this guide I'll use 1234.

Server:

Hentai@Home should be set up with Client Proxy Mode set to Local Network Only. You can set this from the Hentai@Home Screen by clicking the name of the client you're setting up as a proxy. Make sure H@H is running on the server.

You need access to a user on the machine in question, enabled for remote SSH access. I use root in the examples, but I recommend that you use a non-privileged user. The server has to allow connections from the computer you want to browse from.

Client:

Change the Hentai@Home Proxy field under My Settings to 127.0.0.1:local_proxy_port. For this example, we use 127.0.0.1:1234

Open a console window (Linux/Mac OS X/FreeBSD) or start Cygwin (Windows). Type this command exactly (case matters), substituting your own values:

ssh -f -N -L local_proxy_port:localhost:hentaiathome_port -p 22 remote_user@remote_server_ip_address

So, for our example, it would be:

ssh -f -N -L 1234:localhost:2112 -p 22 root@127.17.3.1

You'll get prompted for the password of the remote user account. When this is entered correctly, the secure SSH tunnel has been created and is ready for use.

That's it. You can now use the remote Hentai@Home client as a proxy, as if you were browsing on the server itself. The images themselves will be retrieved by the H@H Proxy on your server, and be transferred onwards through an encrypted channel to your computer.

Protip: If you are a paranoid type, you're living in a country with an oppressive government, or you just value your privacy, you can set up a full HTTP proxy in addition to the H@H proxy, like [www.squid-cache.org] Squid, and use the same method to do all your HTTP browsing fully encrypted. All you need to do is use a different local proxy port and substitute the port for the H@H client with the one for the Squid proxy, then set up your browser to use the proxy in the same way (set to 127.0.0.1:someotherport). Of course the traffic will be unencrypted from the box you connect to, but if it's in a different country that's usually safe enough. If you use paypal and don't give them your real name, it's even safer.

Lil Warning: If anyone offers you the use of their Squid HTTP proxy, they will be able to intercept everything that travels in plaintext, which includes everything on this site. Using an untrusted H@H proxy alone should however be safe.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 04:52