Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Hentai@Home 1.2.3, The Need For Speed

post Jan 5 2015, 13:14
Post #1
Tenboro

Admin

Clients with a large number of files could run into issues where the startup sequence took so long that you hit a server-side timeout. This could particularly happen if you were on a slow CPU, like a Raspberry Pi or a NAS box.

This update changes how cache lists are generated and sent to the server to speed it up by a significant amount. It also refactors part of the startup sequence to happen outside of the critical timeout-able section.

You don't need to apply this update unless you are having issues with slow startups, but it would be nice if some people with very large caches could try it out and compare startup times.

Download from the usual place.

For information on how to join Hentai@Home, check out The Hentai@Home Project FAQ.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Jan 5 2015, 13:55
Post #2
LostLogia4

Translating Miku's Yuri Nikki for the heck of it~~
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 362 (Godslayer)

Where's the stopwatch when I need it? (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Oh, I do have my good'ol phone... right. (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

Well, I think it's around 15 second per 1000 files on my end like before... nvm, turns out the improvement is the cache list is now transferred in segments.

As for the one from the previous thread, I seems to get several issues mixed up there, what I really meant was I believe the negative trust was caused when the server-side expecting the cache size to have already been expanded from the get go, and it keeps getting negative trust when there isn't as much space as expected.
Also, both my clients still have the same 163 static ranges as before. Was that the intended effect? (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

This post has been edited by LostLogia4: Jan 5 2015, 14:19
+Quote Post

post Jan 5 2015, 15:01
Post #3
kamio11

Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

Tested with one of my clients with a ~350 GB cache. Startup time went from 20-30 minutes to 2-3 minutes.
+Quote Post

post Jan 5 2015, 15:08
Post #4
showoff

Veteran Poster
Level 500 (Godslayer)

May i ask how to upgrade properly?
+Quote Post

post Jan 5 2015, 15:24
Post #5
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(LostLogia4 @ Jan 5 2015, 12:55) *
Also, both my clients still have the same 163 static ranges as before. Was that the intended effect? (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Depends on the disk allocation, but as you have more than two clients and still don't include the IDs, I can't check them.

QUOTE(kamio11 @ Jan 5 2015, 14:01) *
Tested with one of my clients with a ~350 GB cache. Startup time went from 20-30 minutes to 2-3 minutes.

I guess that qualifies as "significant". Thanks for checking.

QUOTE(showoff @ Jan 5 2015, 14:08) *

Just shut down your client, extract the .jar files from the archive and overwrite the existing ones, then start it again.
+Quote Post

post Jan 5 2015, 15:26
Post #6
showoff

Veteran Poster
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Jan 5 2015, 21:24) *

Just shut down your client, extract the .jar files from the archive and overwrite the existing ones, then start it again.

Got it!
+Quote Post

post Jan 5 2015, 16:40
Post #7
LostLogia4

Level 362 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Jan 5 2015, 21:24) *
Depends on the disk allocation, but as you have more than two clients and still don't include the IDs, I can't check them.
...I can only allocate around 24GB to client A and B, Disk space needed to host this many ranges has bumped from ~20GB to ~28GB.
Also, I've expanded the disk space allocation for Client 12460 to well above the required amount to host 230 static ranges, but I kept getting negative trusts for this particular client even after I've restarted countless times.

QUOTE(showoff @ Jan 5 2015, 21:08) *
Assuming you're running a Linux machine:
CODE
unzip -o HentaiAtHome_1.2.3.zip -d /home/user/hath/

and restart the client. Hot-replaced the source file all the time and never have any problem with that afaik.

This post has been edited by LostLogia4: Jan 6 2015, 06:38
+Quote Post

post Jan 5 2015, 22:43
Post #8
Tenboro

Admin

If your client is running 1.2.2+ and is online right now, then yes, it's been run. Note that it only takes it down to 150 MB/range for now.

QUOTE(LostLogia4 @ Jan 5 2015, 15:40) *
Also, I've expanded the disk space allocation for Client 12460 to well above the required amount to host 230 static ranges, but I kept getting negative trusts for this particular client even after I've restarted countless times.

Nothing to do with the disk space, it just tests really really poorly right now. As the testing mechanism hasn't changed in a year, it's probably a server or network issue.
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2015, 02:03
Post #9
teenyman45

Active Poster
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

Two questions:

1) How much wear and tear will the current H@H put on an SSD since that's what I've got in my rig?

2) In the process of changing H@H did you also update the main page dashboard to not show HV xp info?

+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2015, 02:59
Post #10
LostLogia4

Level 362 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Jan 6 2015, 04:43) *
Nothing to do with the disk space, it just tests really really poorly right now. As the testing mechanism hasn't changed in a year, it's probably a server or network issue.
Funny how that happens because one of my client that has negative trust issue are colocated on a server where all other clients were well-behaving (albeit with reduced quality).

QUOTE(teenyman45 @ Jan 6 2015, 08:03) *
Two questions:

1) How much wear and tear will the current H@H put on an SSD since that's what I've got in my rig?
Pretty much negligible because it takes years to get hundreds of gigabytes of cache, so most of the traffic are on the reading side.
And I'm pretty sure that flash drives today wouldn't wear out from terabytes of reading.

This post has been edited by LostLogia4: Jan 6 2015, 06:38
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2015, 07:01
Post #11
Achcloan

Newcomer
Level 237 (Lord)

Hi Tenboro.

I'm getting a 404 on http://hentaiathome.net/get/HentaiAtHome_1.2.3_src.zip.
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2015, 07:07
Post #12
blue penguin

in umbra, igitur, pugnabimus
Level 500 (Godslayer)

LOL, it is a typo. The link: http://hentaiathome.net/get/HentaiAtHome_1.2.3-src.zip works. i.e. a minus instead of the last underscore.
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2015, 07:09
Post #13
Achcloan

Newcomer
Level 237 (Lord)

Cool - thanks.
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2015, 12:17
Post #14
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(teenyman45 @ Jan 6 2015, 01:03) *

Less than on a platter disk. How much data it writes depends on the cache size, but it shouldn't notably affect its life expectancy.

QUOTE(teenyman45 @ Jan 6 2015, 01:03) *
2) In the process of changing H@H did you also update the main page dashboard to not show HV xp info?

Not in the process of changing H@H, but I did temporarily remove it.

QUOTE(Achcloan @ Jan 6 2015, 06:01) *

Fixed.
+Quote Post

post Jan 6 2015, 19:15
Post #15
teenyman45

Active Poster
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

QUOTE(LostLogia4 @ Jan 5 2015, 19:59) *

Pretty much negligible because it takes years to get hundreds of gigabytes of cache, so most of the traffic are on the reading side.
And I'm pretty sure that flash drives today wouldn't wear out from terabytes of reading.

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Jan 6 2015, 05:17) *

Less than on a platter disk. How much data it writes depends on the cache size, but it shouldn't notably affect its life expectancy.
Not in the process of changing H@H, but I did temporarily remove it.
Fixed.

Huh. I was under the impression that there was constant writing and re-writing. Switching over an older C300 drive to this shouldn't be that bad then. So once my neighborhood finally dumps Comcast with its data caps and the "mysterious" losses of connectivity whenever I use significant throughput pretty much anywhere but on Steam... I may finally be able to give H@H a try.
+Quote Post

post Jan 7 2015, 00:19
Post #16
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(teenyman45 @ Jan 6 2015, 18:15) *
Huh. I was under the impression that there was constant writing and re-writing. Switching over an older C300 drive to this shouldn't be that bad then. So once my neighborhood finally dumps Comcast with its data caps and the "mysterious" losses of connectivity whenever I use significant throughput pretty much anywhere but on Steam... I may finally be able to give H@H a try.

If you run it in low memory mode it will be more, but a relatively high-traffic test server I'm running (40 GB cache) averages about two writes per second on the disk, and it does other stuff as well. Considering I'm running databases with three orders of magnitude more write traffic on SSDs without any issues, it should be very insignificant.
+Quote Post

post Jan 7 2015, 02:12
Post #17
MrCrackR

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 365 (Godslayer)

For all those people using a Raspberry Pi and running into the following error
CODE
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

i'd advise you to start the java executable with the parameters "-Xms512m -Xmx512m".
It also requires you to enable swap (even if it does some damage to your sd card)
with a size of at least 256m for a model B.

This post has been edited by MrCrackR: Jan 7 2015, 02:13
+Quote Post

post Jan 7 2015, 04:00
Post #18
blue penguin

in umbra, igitur, pugnabimus
Level 500 (Godslayer)

You're running with --use_less_memory flag on on the Pi, right?

I haven't run a H@H on my Pi since version 1.0.1, so I may be wrong, but that parameter limited the memory enough for a Pi.

This post has been edited by blue penguin: Jan 7 2015, 04:00
+Quote Post

post Jan 7 2015, 04:21
Post #19
iDShaDoW

Regular Poster
Group: Members
Level 462 (Godslayer)

Not able to give much of an estimate of how long it took before but when you say it should significantly speed H@H's start up time that is definitely the case.

My cache is ~160GBs right now and the difference in time is leaps and bounds faster than before. Instead of cycling through 1000 files at a time slowly it's just 16 segments and done in a matter of moments.
+Quote Post

post Jan 7 2015, 04:24
Post #20
MrCrackR

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 365 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(blue penguin @ Jan 7 2015, 03:00) *

You're running with --use_less_memory flag on on the Pi, right?

I haven't run a H@H on my Pi since version 1.0.1, so I may be wrong, but that parameter limited the memory enough for a Pi.

Nope, the full command I use is
CODE
java -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar HentaiAtHome.jar --disable_bwm

Memory consumption is just like in version 1.2.1 until uploading of cache list starts.
Even after a successful upload it doesn't shrink anymore. 1.2.1 is working fine with
exactly the same command.

EDIT:
I didn't use_less_memory in 1.2.1, but maybe i should give it a try after the next maintenance.
I ran H@H (1.2.1), nginx, php5-fpm, mysql, minidlna, rpimonitor, shellinabox and tt-rss at the same
time and still had 100mb left without the use of swap. Now that's all stopped.

This post has been edited by MrCrackR: Jan 7 2015, 04:34
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:37