Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Free-to-play MMO games, every discussions related to it

post Jun 4 2013, 14:42
Post #1
Yuri Volkov

Casual Poster
Group: Members
Level 17 (Novice)

Today, I've had enough of free-to-play/F2P MMO games. Why? I almost broke my table's glass in fury after losing to some players with cash item advantages over me. So, in response, after my parents got mad on me, I decided to uninstall and delete that game on my computer (the game is Mercenary Ops - also known as M.A.R.S. and Mercenary Online), and vowed that from this point on, I will never play pay-to-win/P2W free-to-play MMO games anymore - and will look for the opportunity to play P2P/pay-to-play games (notably Battlefield and Call of Duty; I am a fan of FPS games).

I don't want to condemn F2P games because it (usually) ends up being P2W, but I just want to start a discussion about it here, such as about the recent F2P MMO games' quality, its advantages and disadvantages compared to P2P games, whether it ended up as P2W games, and more.

In addition, I also want to know about the situations on F2P MMO gaming world outside my country Indonesia from you guys who played them, because most gamers here seems to not aware about F2P MMO gaming in other countries - and for E-Hentai users that happens to play F2P MMO games to share about the F2P MMO gaming situations in their respective countries/regions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Jun 4 2013, 20:46
Post #2
Lolicon_of_Sin

I rek all u cheeky cunts I swear on me mum
Level 48 (Artisan)

The whole Doom series... the whole Quake series... the whole Unreal series... WolfET... Soldat... just to name a few thing on the top of my head.
There is so much goodness around that you can play forever that is either completely free or playable for cheap price on GOG or something... and you'd be surprised how active some of those still are.

This post has been edited by Lolicon_of_Sin: Jun 4 2013, 20:47
+Quote Post

post Jun 5 2013, 04:53
Post #3
loressan

Ratchet and Clank Sidekick
Level 288 (Godslayer)

most f2p games turn to p2w in transition thats why they are free,there is some games like tera online and path of exlie for example not p2w but for me i dont want continue to play after little because its fantasy setting iam getting tired fantasy rpg games.

i started play marvel heroes today,its quite nice game,but price too high for heroes and costumes,there is 5 free heroes right now,and there is a chance to drop heroes in game,i am happy right now playing as storm.and i have another hero daredevil too (another free hero i think its give you that hero as a earlyquest reward).

for my experinece yes another marvel game marvel avengers alliance f2p flash game its very much out of the road with pvp part,there is no real pvp you just fight against another person ai team,proc rates very high for ai and every week new high bonus pvp items released for buying,so that part of the game turn to p2w,and its also damaging pve part too ,some items nefred because of pvp,there is no different equipment for pve or pvp,heroes nerfed after shortly released,overall pretty bad game,i just played spec ops part and new chapters in story,
and chapters come after very long breaks like 2 2.5 months,i grind alot for long time ago so i have almost all heroes thats why i drop yet this game but if i started now i immediately logout and never turn back.

there is alot of worst examples like swtor but i never tried because i know how they implied f2p system also i never spend any money for any f2p game,i think i tried 4-5 games and never continue play,except that flash game and this new marvel heroes,in my oinion f2p games is worst implements for gaming,but looks like devs and pubs make a good profit so they never going anywhere soon,even consoles have some f2p fps game now and they have new ones with next gen systems
+Quote Post

post Jun 5 2013, 04:59
Post #4
cavecricket48

Active Poster
Level 264 (Godslayer)

The above post is false. MoBAs are unable to become pay-2-win by nature. Why do people with money play them then? For the swag.
+Quote Post

post Jun 5 2013, 05:18
Post #5
loressan

Level 288 (Godslayer)

thats your false opinion, f2p games just a gimmick to get your money more then retail with bunch of timing microtransition.
+Quote Post

post Jun 5 2013, 06:11
Post #6
cavecricket48

Active Poster
Level 264 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(loressan @ Jun 4 2013, 23:18) *

thats your false opinion, f2p games just a gimmick to get your money more then retail with bunch of timing microtransition.

Too bad MoBAs exist to prove your ass wrong?
+Quote Post

post Jun 5 2013, 06:26
Post #7
loressan

Level 288 (Godslayer)

first of learn your manners then talk like that and you just say moba down moba up,i say my vision about mmo rpgs,if you have a own opinion vision idea about f2p say it with details.not just post with to someone say false.i say my vision and thats true for many games and i say there is good games with f2p too.

i am not going to futher debate this conversation anymore.
+Quote Post

post Jun 5 2013, 06:56
Post #8
cavecricket48

Active Poster
Level 264 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(loressan @ Jun 5 2013, 00:26) *

first of learn your manners then talk like that and you just say moba down moba up,i say my vision about mmo rpgs,if you have a own opinion vision idea about f2p say it with details.not just post with to someone say false.i say my vision and thats true for many games and i say there is good games with f2p too.

Well, aren't MoBAs f2ps?

I mean, they have plenty of cash income but it's not pay to win, amirite? No amount of cash you spend will ever give you an advantage in a MoBA.

You're going to discuss this with me. I guarantee it.
+Quote Post

post Jun 8 2013, 01:26
Post #9
McLOVINu

Regular Poster
Level 125 (Ascended)

Any game that has one player having an advantage over another, not related to skill, is clearly pay to win, regardless of how you try to bark otherwise.
Mobas are no different. More options = advantage, simple!

A free person with a roster of only 10 champions/heroes vs a person with a roster of 100 champions.

Now, if the ONLY payment stuff is cosmetic, then it clearly is not pay to win.

Look at league of legends... goto any aram game where your team only has access to the base 10 free champsions vs another team that spent money buying only ranged attackers.
^Good luck winning that (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) haha.

But seriously though, League of legends is bad example because it is SOO buggy/glitching, not to mention pvp is not fair.
+Quote Post

post Jun 13 2013, 21:25
Post #10
2chuu4u

Newcomer

tera is ftp now it's got cute elin
+Quote Post

post Jun 13 2013, 23:01
Post #11
McLOVINu

Regular Poster
Level 125 (Ascended)

QUOTE(2chuu4u @ Jun 13 2013, 21:25) *

tera is ftp now it's got cute elin

Downloaded it was like 27-30 gigs :/
Battles are fun, but the story/questing is so awful, I un-installed it.

I may *MAY* re-download star wars old republic, and run through each class story.
^but youtube is for that right?
+Quote Post

post Jun 14 2013, 01:24
Post #12
cavecricket48

Active Poster
Level 264 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(McLOVINu @ Jun 7 2013, 19:26) *

Any game that has one player having an advantage over another, not related to skill, is clearly pay to win, regardless of how you try to bark otherwise.
Mobas are no different. More options = advantage, simple!

A free person with a roster of only 10 champions/heroes vs a person with a roster of 100 champions.

Now, if the ONLY payment stuff is cosmetic, then it clearly is not pay to win.

Look at league of legends... goto any aram game where your team only has access to the base 10 free champsions vs another team that spent money buying only ranged attackers.
^Good luck winning that (IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) haha.

But seriously though, League of legends is bad example because it is SOO buggy/glitching, not to mention pvp is not fair.

If not League then DotA 2.

And why the fuck are you citing ARAMs as an example. I don't think you know what an ARAM is.

Regardless, PvP is fair, and I can defend it by saying that it's been proven- the longer a game goes on, the less and less runes and masteries matter, so by the 25 minute mark any arguments made about runepages will be null and voided. You've just made a random statement.
+Quote Post

post Jun 14 2013, 03:30
Post #13
baklazan

Newcomer
Level 235 (Godslayer)

Rift just went Free to play it has a really solid PvE from what I heard
+Quote Post

post Jun 14 2013, 08:04
Post #14
Gimik17

Newcomer

I've been playing Tera but the grind to 60 is pretty bad and you pretty much the SAME monsters in each area with different names ._.
I've heard from several friends that once you hit lvl 60 more stuff is available for you to do.
+Quote Post

post Jun 15 2013, 01:22
Post #15
whysis

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 53 (Expert)

Good f2p experiences I've had were with All Points Bulletin (community is pretty much dead now), Warframe (co-op but a little more interesting when solo), Spiral Knights, Vindictus, Dota 2 (fun but takes a year or two to not be trash at the game), and Planetside 2 (Grind/balance is pretty bad). Everything else has either been boring or laden with limitations based on how much money you've poured into the game.

All in all, these were all noticeably flawed in one way or another but still can be fairly enjoyable. I will say this though, these games need good friends to play with save for Warframe which feels a little more exhilarating when playing by yourself and is arguably more balanced for solo play. The best f2p games for me seem to be the ones that reward both coordination and reaction since the gameplay tends to be much more fulfilling. Though from my experience, if you don't have friends to reliably play with then you could say good bye to all sense of coordination. Playing only with pubbers tends to make any experience with games pretty bad, though it's much more noticeable in f2p games due to how much lower the skills of your fellow players tend to get.

I would try taking a break from f2p mmos and playing games like Black Mesa (if you have the specs for it), Cave Story and Spelunky. They're free single player games that have some length to them and are pretty fun. I don't like f2p mmo's because they tend to be overtly formulaic and bland. Wildstar seems promising, but so have a lot of games that have been coming out recently that have turned out rather average. If you want a fun, free multiplayer experience with friends, I'd recommend something like Sven-Coop rather than a f2p mmo.
+Quote Post

post Jun 17 2013, 22:10
Post #16
Gibbley

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 11 (Novice)

I don't play much games now days, but I always loved how Guild wars and Diablo III worked. You buy the game, and all good items, are all found in the game. No buying boosts or items only thru in game stores. I do not mind paying a one time fee. I did try Perfect world, and a few others, but they all start to feel the same.
+Quote Post

post Jun 18 2013, 19:29
Post #17
McLOVINu

Regular Poster
Level 125 (Ascended)

QUOTE(cavecricket48 @ Jun 14 2013, 01:24) *
And why the fuck are you citing ARAMs as an example. I don't think you know what an ARAM is.

For LoL, ARAM selects a champion at random from the players pool of champions, and not the entire champion pool.
(IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So players can stack their odds buy buying only the best ARAM champions. (generally ranged or skill spammers).
I really like melee, so I mainly bought melee champions, so I generally play ARAM sitting behind minion waves.
(unless it gives me a melee that has a ranged spammable skill)
+Quote Post

post Jun 19 2013, 00:54
Post #18
cavecricket48

Active Poster
Level 264 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(McLOVINu @ Jun 18 2013, 13:29) *

For LoL, ARAM selects a champion at random from the players pool of champions, and not the entire champion pool.
(IMG:[invalid] style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So players can stack their odds buy buying only the best ARAM champions. (generally ranged or skill spammers).
I really like melee, so I mainly bought melee champions, so I generally play ARAM sitting behind minion waves.
(unless it gives me a melee that has a ranged spammable skill)

You're kinda dumb if you think that ARAMs are an accurate measurement of skill in a team-based game. Let me refer you to a quote from Gentleman Gustav from Reign of Gaming:

There's a defined game order on Summoner's Rift. That is, there's a sense of previous actions affecting the game. There are lots of options as to which objectives to focus on: buffs for early game strength, towers for map vision, dragon for gold and a longer laning phase, and so on. And as those are taken, the map changes. Dragon down? Gank top! Baron spawned? Careful about dragon/being bot. Blue buff gone? The jungler probably isn't farming there much. Loosely, we refer to these as pre-laning (the dance), laning (laning), mid-game (the 3-man gank squad phase), late game (prioritize team fights), end game (every splitting up could be game).

Dominion is the worst offender of lacking those. Take top altar? They took it back and we're back to square one, the points are just lower. If I wanted that style of play, I'd be playing a shooter.

ARAM is just flat out silly. Random champions when there are obvious balance distinctions? No thank you. And sure, it has towers, but you don't have choices about which ones to take, they are serial.

Twisted Treeline is not bad. It certainly has its perks. But no wards is a huge negative; it takes away a lot of the ability to plan, or play safe to catch up, or so on. Two lanes is also a pretty low one, you have 'next to vilemaw' and 'not next to vilemaw', and so you have two choices: take bot inhib to create vilemaw pressure, or take top towers to remove vilemaw vision. The altars are nice, but much like Dominion in that they don't have lasting effects (minus the gold, which is a lazy way of adding those effects in; that doesn't change the game so much as make you more behind).

Like, if you can't understand why centering your argument around a mode focused on randomness literally has the durability of paper mache about to be doused in water after reading this, then... Well... Let's move on!

This post has been edited by cavecricket48: Jun 19 2013, 00:55
+Quote Post

post Jun 19 2013, 16:50
Post #19
FLCLocust

♪♪ about 20% cooler ♪♪
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 368 (Godslayer)

Warframe is pretty awesome f2p game...

+Quote Post

post Jun 20 2013, 03:28
Post #20
McLOVINu

Regular Poster
Level 125 (Ascended)

QUOTE(cavecricket48 @ Jun 19 2013, 00:54) *

You're kinda dumb if you think that ARAMs are an accurate measurement of skill in a team-based game. Let me refer you to a quote from Gentleman Gustav from Reign of Gaming:
Like, if you can't understand why centering your argument around a mode focused on randomness literally has the durability of paper mache about to be doused in water after reading this, then... Well... Let's move on!

True. I agree on all points.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:15